Author Topic: A plan to revive blockland  (Read 4507 times)

I'm not magic. I can't do this alone.
Here's what we do:
We nominate Blockland for the "Test of Time" Steam award.
If it wins the award, that will bring new players. If we don't do something, they won't stay, so we do the following:
Host servers of interesting, non-freebuild modes, with as little overlap as possible, as often as we can for the next month.
Pick someone to host the one big freebuild server with only a few addons, but interesting ones. Like Slayer, or Advanced Bot Events. Probably we should vote on that. Make sure it's at the top of the list, hosted on a powerful machine that can handle 128 players or something, and name it "New Players Join Here" and stuff.
Stay on our best behavior.

Also, we should probably make stuff on that freebuild server ahead of time. Minigames and stuff, things to do. Builds with interactivity in every corner. Secrets!

If it doesn't win the award, we wait for the next big sale.

he's not wrong. If BL wins an award it will draw people to this game

he's not wrong. If BL wins an award it will draw people to this game
Who'll then quit after a short while of playing because they don't know how to do anything or they join a bad server that ends giving them a bad impression of the community

The game needs something that'll actually get people to stick to it, but having people put up good servers in an attempt to keep these people will only fail in the end as these people may not be able to host consistently or constantly, and once those servers go down, the newcomers will be disappointed with what's left and just quit

You can't force the fun

Who'll then quit after a short while of playing because they don't know how to do anything or they join a bad server that ends giving them a bad impression of the community

The game needs something that'll actually get people to stick to it, but having people put up good servers in an attempt to keep these people will only fail in the end as these people may not be able to host consistently or constantly, and once those servers go down, the newcomers will be disappointed with what's left and just quit

You can't force the fun

Not if we make the servers simple for everyone to host.

We need Minigames that people can download, not just the Knife TDM or Jail RP stuff.

Building Competitions (Link a Download on the Server)
Eventing Competitions (Link a Download on the Server)
Take the City RPG 3 Mod and instead of making a City RPG Make a Suburban RPG! (Link the Download for the GUI ONLY)*
Make a Trench RP That doesn't use Dirt looking bricks, make it look less ugly. (Leave a Download Link on the server for the mod.)
Make other Minigames that Center around Building or Eventing as the purpos (Maybe a Download isn't needed, but atleast leave a link for a build Template.)

Freebuild servers aren't a bad Idea, but how about we spice it up

ThemeBuild servers! (Like A freebuild but a bit more restricted, using certain colorsets and sticking to a theme| Ex. Steampunk Themebuild .)

Using a similar premise why not do that for Block Parties?

* - This isn't going to be for everyone to create, but it is good to show off.

I just feel like people having to host these servers in an attempt to drag in the new players any time there's a big thing going on makes us look desperate, i dunno

I just feel like people having to host these servers in an attempt to drag in the new players any time there's a big thing going on makes us look desperate, i dunno
Well, we kind of are desperate.

Well its not like the mods and builds will dissapear when the event is magically over. They could host them too, and besides we've been in need of some new gamemodes and servers.

While our community might be small, enjoy it. The only problem with Blockland is it not getting updates. It's made 200,000+ sales, which is good for a small indie game like Blockland. We got r1986, so we might get more updates. It's a dream, but it can happen.

Good idea but this will probably never happen. Because nobody listens.

Oh, my. Good luck with that
Says the one who crashed servers for a living