When will this game be updated again?

Author Topic: When will this game be updated again?  (Read 6437 times)

I'm an older user. I was active on this game from around 2009-2011 and some patchy intervals up until 2014. I used to make these fantastic Medieval RPG games that gathered quite the following back then! However, I was mainly using VCE to do it, and some of you may know that this system had troubles with variables and messages getting messed up on the network and crossing over between players, making huge aspects of my games unplayable. I ended up quitting out of frustration multiple times.

Of course, these were the best times of my life and I am currently in my third year of college doing a degree in game design/software development, still trying to pursue that feeling. I know I could personally now have the ability to ditch VCE altogether and implement my own version of the game, should I ever find the time, but it lead me to think about a few things.

Blockland is an incredible educational tool. It gave me a serious edge on all the others in my class because it thought me about the basics of how code worked, mostly from the VCE add-on, from an early age (13). Why isn't this type of add-on default? Blockland is a sandbox game, and you can get no further sandbox than if you implemented a variable system like this one. This game was my creative outlet for a very long time.

I check in on the forums to see if there has been any updates, and well... just look at the development section on the forum. All recent updates appear to be bug fixes. I appreciate that Badspot may have lost interest in this game and that is completely acceptable; he's a human being and he can do whatever he wants. However, this game has incredible potential, as both an educational tool and a creative sandbox game of the ages, and to promote Blockland to it's true glory as a game requires a few changes.

I propose that these changes are made:
  • An intercommunication system within blockland is necessary. Just like RTB, but run on the master server. Nothing brings a game together like community, whether it be good or bad.
  • A default variables system that works via the in-game event system - maybe even having a checkbox on the events interface that allows "Advanced Events" which will trigger the ability to use client and server side variables with conditional events (if statements) within your server.

That is my two cents on the matter. If you support what I'm trying to get at here, drop a post and discuss it further.

P.S. Blockland has given me direction in life; like seriously, if it wasn't for Blockland I don't think I'd ever have gotten into Game Design and I'd probably just be doing some stupid loving Arts degree at the moment, if even. I promise that if neither of these things are implemented by default that I will create one of these as an add-on for Blockland - but you'll have to wait a year or so; college is hard and I must devote my time to my personal life before I can help others.

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:06:05 AM by Makingblah »

content updates aren't going to happen as badspot has moved onto other projects and considers blockland a finished/complete game.
the closest we can get is addons for new content.

A pity really. Also, a recognizable name!

mario land fun was a separate game it wasn't a content update for blockland

mario land fun was a separate game it wasn't a content update for blockland
very true. I thought it was that go kart add-on thingy, but now I'm not even sure when that was released. I took it out of the original post because I clearly can't read.

The idea's no doubt been suggested before, but if Badspot allowed for users to fix bugs and update the game themselves, it might fix a lot of the problems you and newcomers might have.

It's his game, so he has the final say, but it would kill two birds with one stone.

if Badspot allowed for users to fix bugs and update the game themselves, it might fix a lot of the problems you and newcomers might have.
It's more complex than that. Some bugs are not fixable with add-ons, and must be fixed from source code directly. I don't think Badspot, let alone any games developer, wants to give the source code for their game out to anybody.

P.S. Blockland has given me direction in life; like seriously, if it wasn't for Blockland I don't think I'd ever have gotten into Game Design and I'd probably just be doing some stupid loving Arts degree at the moment, if even. I promise that if neither of these things are implemented by default that I will create one of these as an add-on for Blockland - but you'll have to wait a year or so; college is hard and I must devote my time to my personal life before I can help others.

i can easily say the same. had i never found blockland, i probably wouldnt have gotten into editing forum avatars, or making decals. that never would have developed into graphics and design. i never would have branched off into motion graphics. i never would've learned the powerful utilization of both 3d modeling and 2d image manipulation. i wouldnt have developed such a devoted interest to good entertainment, meaning i wouldnt be making my own music for, nor would i have the ability to sucessfully voice act the cartoons and skits that all those talents eventually became.

id be an incredibly different person had i not found blockland, and i dont just mean by profession. i mean i wouldnt be who i am now without it. its insane how much this game means to me. you can probably guess i totally support your suggestions, and if they dont get added, i totally support your suggestions becoming addons

my projects could certainly use them
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:50:45 PM by mod-man »

I completely agree with that. Without Blockland I probably would not have found my love for programming and wouldn't have taught myself to do it. Not even sure I'd be in computer science if it weren't for Blockland, and making my Jailbreak server helped immensely with my ability to program making my classes extremely easy. Even though the game doesn't get updated anymore I'm still super grateful that I was able to be a part of it.

We don't need content updates. The add-on system allows us to provide theoretically infinite content.

We just need updates that allow us to make different kinds of things, better things, and have better ways of doing things we've already done.

We don't need content updates. The add-on system allows us to provide theoretically infinite content.

We just need updates that allow us to make different kinds of things, better things, and have better ways of doing things we've already done.
Agreed. Really all we need is modernization of physics and graphics. There's not a huge need for new features as that can be done with add-ons, but just engine tweaks is all Blockland really needs to stay relevant.

We don't need content updates.

Obviously we do, otherwise there would be more than 80 players online right now.

i wish we had a better engine, that way we wouldn't deal with only being able to see 7 lights at once and things like that

I actually cited Blockland in a presentation for my web development coursework and experience. The two or three professors that I've mentioned it to in passing have been mildly/happily surprised by "in-game torque scripting." I can without a doubt say I understand C# and basic HTML better thanks to BL.

Unfortunately I see the game as dead in the water, and I think Baddy does too. According to whatever steam game statistics you wanna find, avg max player count is 200. No Man's Sky, a notable game flop of the year, is sitting just short of 4k active users right now. BL is a fantastic game but it doesn't have the support or WANT to warrant Baddy's attention to our desires. Better Blockland would be awesome but idk if it will be a thing

Think a communication system is what I would want most. Players are so spread out through glass, orbs, or just not using anything at all. None of those can really unify the game like RTB did, or what a default communication system would do.

We don't need content updates. The add-on system allows us to provide theoretically infinite content

This is the silliest idea have heard. I can list hundreds of aspects that could be developed further, many of those are only able to be changed by Badspot.

A variable system should not be default due to its very easy ability to crash servers, either unintentionally by new players or intentionally by starfishs.