Author Topic: Blockland Synchronet BBS  (Read 1489 times)

Ready for a pre-2000's throwback? Come join the Blockland Synchronet BBS and experience a community system that predated the internet!

Because Discord servers are overrated!

What is a BBS? A bulletin board system, or BBS, is a computer server running software that allows users to connect to the system using a terminal program. Once logged in, the user can perform functions such as uploading and downloading software and data, reading news and bulletins, and exchanging messages with other users through email, public message boards, and sometimes via direct chatting. Many BBSes also offer on-line games, in which users can compete with each other, and BBSes with multiple phone lines often provide chat rooms, allowing users to interact with each other. Bulletin board systems were in many ways a precursor to the modern form of the World Wide Web, social networks and other aspects of the Internet. Low-cost, high-performance modems drove the use of online services and BBSes through the early 1990s. Infoworld estimated there were 60,000 BBSes serving 17 million users in the United States alone in 1994, a collective market much larger than major online services like CompuServe.
 - Wikipedia

How do I join/connect? To connect you will need to connect to bbs.block.land via a telnet client. SSH is not available.

Windows: Windows has a telnet client available that is normally disabled, but you can enable it by going to the control panel > add/remove programs > Turn windows features on/off (in the sidebar) > Find telnet in the list and enable it. Type 'telnet' into the start menu and it should show up. When the telnet console opens, type open bbs.block.land and press enter.
Alternatively you can download Putty and select telnet mode before connecting.

Unix/Mac: Open a terminal and type telnet bbs.block.land

Important: If prompted about using any kind of extended ASCII, the answer should probably always be NO since those character sets and features are not really supported anywhere anymore.

Once you are connected, you can sign up for a new account. The new user process is a bit quirky and I wasn't able to disable some of the silly requirements. When prompted to write a letter to the sysop, just tell me your favorite food or something. Your account will be automatically verified.

Okay, now what? Once you make it to the main menu, you'll have a lot of options for what to do. Here are some of the basic things. You can press this key to do: ...

X - Browse the programs and games on the BBS. Some of the games are pretty fun and have BBS-wide scorekeeping. Compete for the highest score! My favorite game is Kannons & Katapults.
C - Enter the chat menu, where you can then join a multiuser chat or start a private chat with another online user.
P - Post a message on one of the pubic boards.
R - Read messages on the public boards.

Users can also send email to each other as well as upload and download files from the file areas.

is fun
would recommend that you all join

non-technobabble OP pls
The how to join section shouldn't be that hard to follow :l

do you keep IP records?

do you keep IP records?
The BBS logs all connection attempts and ip and hostname is associated with each account. It's just how it works.

I wrote a letter about 6 lines but I accidentally blanked it out once and then after nearly completing it again I accidentally closed the client.

TIL the past must've been pretty crappy.

okay i use IRC's but im loving lost

where the forget is control panel on windows 10 someone help me i am computer illiterate

how do i use multinode chat im confused send hep

nice

where the forget is control panel on windows 10 someone help me i am computer illiterate
right click the start menu

how do i use multinode chat im confused send hep
multinode chat is just a fancy description of a global chat channel. if anyone else chooses multinode chat then you'll both be in the same room.