help me diagnose my computer

Author Topic: help me diagnose my computer  (Read 601 times)

so what happens is everything is fine, i go do whatever i feel like, or nothing at all
then everything freezes and i can't even use the power button to shut down, i have to hard reset it

i looked in task manager and it says literally all the disk is used up when like, 0.2mb is showing up on it

wtf do i do

First list your specs, OS included.

Then if your on windows 7+ search your pc for snipping tool and use that to give us some screenshots.

From there we can understand a bit more on what is going on.

Then if your on windows 7+ search your pc for snipping tool and use that to give us some screenshots.

From there we can understand a bit more on what is going on.
I don't think this is helpful at all because he can't predict when his PC will freeze, and he can't take screenshots when it is frozen

so what happens is everything is fine, i go do whatever i feel like, or nothing at all
then everything freezes and i can't even use the power button to shut down, i have to hard reset it

i looked in task manager and it says literally all the disk is used up when like, 0.2mb is showing up on it

wtf do i do
disable services like superfetch and automatic regular drive defragmentation. what's happening is your computer is doing background tasks and you can't stop it doing them directly, but you can disable some services that it may be doing that are eating up your hard drive time.

googling this issue turns up a number of possibilities. next time it freezes, just leave the computer there for a couple hours and go do something else so windows loving 10 can finish its bs uncancellable tasks so it won't plague you as often anymore.

wtf do i do

Are you sure you weren't looking at your RAM and you were looking at your hard drive through Task Manager? As in, I don't think Task Manager shows you how many space is left in the hard drive. Try going to "My Computer" to see how many hard drive space you have left.

As for cleanup you could probably use, one is to try clearing up useless stuff on your hard drive like applications you used only once or games you tried only once.

Next is to make sure that as little programs run on startup as possible.

Another is to get CCleaner (not a misspelling) and clean up some more stuff that is very likely useless like browser history.

When you can, do try to get specs like Master Matthew said even if you don't know if it'll freeze while you try - you don't have a choice besides doing a format, and you don't want to format over nothing, yes?

Are you sure you weren't looking at your RAM and you were looking at your hard drive through Task Manager? As in, I don't think Task Manager shows you how many space is left in the hard drive. Try going to "My Computer" to see how many hard drive space you have left.
it shows hard drive usage. the problem isn't there isn't space left, but the computer is taking up hard drive read/write time, and thus freezing other tasks that need a little bit of that time to run. like the os.

one thing you can do if you have admin permissions is to go to the performance tab and open resource monitor (at the bottom) and see what it is that's eating up your hd read/write time. its almost certainly System, though.

had this problem on computer from the mesozoic era. what fixed it was a new video card.

had this problem on computer from the mesozoic era. what fixed it was a new video card.
and not having windows 10, which loves doing all this backgorund stuff. here its pretty clear the issue is not the video card as he specifically states its the disk time getting eaten up.

was just stating a possibility

clean it up handicap
like, physically
dust the hell out of it

Next time it freezes up, close your PC down for a few discernible minutes then when you start again go to Event Viewer at the time when it froze up and when you close it, and see if there's any major errors or anything. Check into the System logs in particular, and maybe Application logs.

It's not a guaranteed troubleshoot, but it might give you a lead, could be a driver crash or anything.