how can I improve these roads

Author Topic: how can I improve these roads  (Read 7824 times)

-snip-
O stuff i that picture brought back so much memories

what do you mean by this? nearly any road that isn't just one lane will have lines
When its clear someone lives in a city not a town.

I've done a few roads for smaller towns/neighborhoods, and one of my favorites was a very gentle hill (like 1f per 16studs, I think) and it gently wound back and forth - but not at a specific interval, like there could be a sharp turn followed by two very gentle turns, some turns may not turn as far, ect. What I personally loved about the road was the sidewalk was a little bit away from the road, like 6-8 studs, and grass that dipped to make like a small trough was in between, and it didn't make a clean line along the street, so if you looked at the road when it was going straight, the grass would look staggered along the edge - it'd come in 3 studs, then 2 studs, then 1, then 2, then 2, then 1, then 2, then 3, then 3, then 2...

Anyways, I like where you're going with these roads, if you're going for the dreaded grid. I'd really suggest to stop worrying about making road [pieces and just make the road itself. Maybe set up your town/neighborhoods size, and just start making roads.

Just my thoughts.

Since no one's given their two cents;
Try doing simple gutters, but do them this way;
Your curb is 1x tall, so have a 1f tall hole that's 6x wide on the inside edge on only one sidewalk. Put it square in the middle of the baseplate. Make this a new dupable piece of straight road. Alternate regular straight road with gutters, and alternate sides of the gutter where they do get placed.
Should add detail without too much repatition, and you won't have five hundred gutters in a neighborhood.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:43:42 AM by the_stitch »

Since no one's given their two cents;
Try doing simple gutters, but do them this way;
Your curb is 1x tall, so have a 1f tall hole that's 6x wide on the inside edge on only one sidewalk. Put it square in the middle of the baseplate. Make this a new dupable piece of straight road. Alternate regular straight road with gutters, and alternate sides of the gutter where they do get placed.
Should add detail without too much repatition, and you won't have five hundred gutters in a neighborhood.

the curbs are 2f tall but I get the general idea

If you're going to make city roads, you need to consider for high density traffic and the amount of people that live in a condensed area. This means more lanes, and often different forms of transportation that criss-cross paths. This photo shows 4 different road pieces (straight city w/ divider, straight city divider end, the slanted road ramp railroad tracks, the middle of the tracks actually supporting the rails.)

extra town, suburban and rural streets.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:47:03 PM by AdinX »

variant with storm drain?

finally got around to editing the roads some more, here's some more adapters

ey that's pretty good

also as someone that bikes a lot i say add bike lanes
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:50:00 PM by ßlöükfáce »

personally i think more design in the sidewalks really improves the quality of roads. few sidewalks are just a bland flat concrete surface

note how in the last one the actual sidewalk is a simple design, but it still has the grass/tree dividers. i guess this is also kinda dependent on what style of town/city this is going to be in, but it would def make the whole design look more appealing.

Make a road with green grass in the meridian, or a one-way four lane road.

Here are some more roads i made if it can help you ;) (all default)

yeah try to vary, by example some 2x2 can be changed for larger 1x1 lanes or try to add parking lots/central meridian with anyhting on it (it can be grass, bushes, trees, streetlights or even mini buildings)

Edit: i really like your brick roads, but in case of big city it can raise the brickcount quickly :S
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 06:06:24 PM by Sylvanor »

Tram tracks would also be an interesting addition!