Poll

are all furries mentally ill

yes
no

Author Topic: question - why are are all furries mentally unstable or autistic  (Read 22158 times)

the real question is why are furries always loving gay

the real question is why are furries always loving gay

That is a good question, according to wikiped, a disproportionate amount of furries are proclaimed homoloveual. Something like 14-25% reportedly homoloveual and 37-52% biloveual.

So statistically it's probably incorrect to say that all furries are autistic, you'd be pretty statistically sound to say all furries are gay lmfao

That is a good question, according to wikiped, a disproportionate amount of furries are proclaimed homoloveual. Something like 14-25% reportedly homoloveual and 37-52% biloveual.

So statistically it's probably incorrect to say that all furries are autistic, you'd be pretty statistically sound to say all furries are gay lmfao
you just proved it's a special interest. If the reason for people liking it wasn't loveual, it wouldn't overrepresent any loveual orientations

oh and also
In a different online survey, 33% of furry respondents answered that they have a "significant loveual interest in furry", another 46% stated they have a "minor loveual interest in furry", and the remaining 21% stated they have a "non-loveual interest in furry".
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:09:28 PM by OrangeMan »

you just proved it's a special interest. If the reason for people liking it wasn't loveual, it wouldn't overrepresent any loveual orientations

If a disproportionate amount of Colts fans happened to identify as homoloveual, it wouldn't make watching football a special interest. If a disproportionate amount of football fans drew research depicting football players, that in itself would probably be considered a special interest, but still wouldn't make the act of watching football a special interest. Same thing applies to the furry fandom as far as I care. If you think otherwise, good for you, I guess.

If a disproportionate amount of Colts fans happened to identify as homoloveual, it wouldn't make watching football a special interest. If a disproportionate amount of football fans drew research depicting football players, that in itself would probably be considered a special interest, but still wouldn't make the act of watching football a special interest. Same thing applies to the furry fandom as far as I care. If you think otherwise, good for you, I guess.
The difference is that normal hobbies do not overrepresent biloveuals by a factor of 9250%

*licks Ike's fur clean*

The difference is that normal hobbies do not overrepresent biloveuals by a factor of 9250%

I'm gonna go ahead and agree to disagree because I don't care to differentiate whether or not you're trolling or if you're just being a dumbass.

There's quite a few groups out there that have done full scale, studies on furries.
One reported an Asperger's rate within the fandom of about 4%, compared with a general population of 1.5%.
So sure it's quite a bit more common, but 4% is still a small figure, and there's a huge stretch from "4%" to "all furries are autistic"
Perceiving the latter is likely a combination of confirmation bias and vocal minority. Or perhaps just willful ignorance.

In sum, generally speaking, there is little relationship between furries and clinical diagnoses of psychological dysfunction. Across a number of different conditions, furries did not differ significantly from the general population with regard to the prevalence of psychological conditions. In those instances where there were significant differences, they tended to be particularly small effects. Furthermore, follow-up brown townyses have suggested that identification with the furry fandom, despite any relationships to psychological conditions, nonetheless is marginally associated with psychological and relationship well-being (B = .062-.063, p = .083-.079). As such, it is incorrect to define or “try to explain furries” by the presence of any particular psychological condition or through any type of psychological dysfunction.

Source:  https://sites.google.com/site/anthropomorphicresearch/past-results/anthrocon-2013

It's not quite that simple. Correlation =/= causation.
IMO the most likely explanation is just  "a bunch of cute fuzzy animals is more likely to attract feminine men then masculine men"

oh and also
No one is arguing that there's no loveual interest at all, just that there's more to it then that.
That very quote you're posting proves that for a 2/3 majority, the loveual interest is minor at most
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:56:40 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

There's quite a few groups out there that have done full scale, sociological studies on furries.
I remember seeing one that reported an Asperger's rate within the fandom of about 4%, compared with a general population of 1.5%.
So sure it's quite a bit more common, but 4% is still a small figure, and there's a huge stretch from "4%" to "all furries are autistic"
Perceiving the latter is likely a combination of confirmation bias and vocal minority. Or perhaps just willful ignorance.

Source:  https://sites.google.com/site/anthropomorphicresearch/past-results/anthrocon-2013

It's not quite that simple. Correlation =/= causation.
IMO the most likely explanation is just  "a bunch of cute fuzzy animals is more likely to attract feminine men then masculine men"
No one is arguing that there's no loveual interest at all, just that there's more to it then that.
That very quote you're posting proves that for a 2/3 majority, the loveual interest is minor
you literally own a fursuit don't come near me or anyone else for that matter

OrangeMan's mistake was assuming I disagreed with him on the furry fandom being really loveual. I personally find furries weird and oftentimes cringy. It's just that people have said some pretty downright stupid stuff and I wanted to put my two cents.

lol orangeman sucks at trolling

you literally own a fursuit don't come near me or anyone else for that matter
itt: Trolls making ad hominem attacks on arguments with actual facts and statistics.

Seriously, did you expect to go anywhere with this? Go be a richard elsewhere.

I'd say it's a symptom of social handicapation, rather than the inverse. As a matter of fact I think being on the forum in itself is a minor symptom of social frustration

You go hunting for online interaction because there are no social cues involved, so it's easy to feel included. When you still fail to be included because you're a turbocreep, you move on to communities made up of people whose entire personalities revolve around some sort of incredibly undesirable trait, forcing them to include everyone due to the fact that they are the lowest possible common denominator in social hierarchy. In the case of furries, the undesirable trait is a degenerate special interest.
Rally you need help

in fact everyone in this thread needs help

is this the new furry megathread

Rally you need help

We should put the furries in concentration death camps