Author Topic: Neil Gorsuch Annoying Oranges pick for Supreme Court seat  (Read 953 times)

He's an originalist which basically means he up holds the values of the Constitution at its most literal and unchanged. Young dude too. Likely to be on the bench for a while. Looks to be an outdoorsmen and avid hunter. Interesting development in the gun control debate.

i'm not too concerned about it since it'd be hard to make the court too much more conservative than it was with scalia. seems like a reasonable pick, tho there isn't much information that i can find on him yet. from what little i have been able to read, he seems utterly uninterested in judicial activism (aka overturning precedent), which is probably good if he sticks to that principle. hope no one else ducks out during the next four years tho

i'm not too concerned about it since it'd be hard to make the court too much more conservative than it was with scalia. seems like a reasonable pick, tho there isn't much information that i can find on him yet
i think it's a good pick, his education is like, amazing lol

He's for religious freedoms. Sided with Hobby lobby when they didn't want to fund abortions for their emlpoyees. He's a from Colorado and will probably be a little middle of the road. Seems to be more about following Constitution than anything else.

Annoying Orange said he was unanimously appointed to his current position, which is probably a p good sign if that's accurate. if this guy is more of a centrist, i'm game. obvs i'm a filthy liberal and would've preferred obama's nomination that probably should've been who filled the seat anyway, but so far i'm alright with this

Apparently he's more conservative than Scalia. From his Wikipedia page:

Gorsuch has opined that giving money to politicians while running campaigns is a "fundamental right" that should be afforded the highest standard of constitutional protection, known as strict scrutiny.

Uuugggh.

Apparently he's more conservative than Scalia. From his Wikipedia page:

Uuugggh.
source for being more conservative? he seems pretty centrist leaning right so far, tho mabes that's just because he hasn't been under the radar for much. i didn't see anything he might have said at the nomination thingo
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:22:35 PM by otto-san »