Author Topic: forget my programming class. Seriously, forget it to hell.  (Read 1768 times)

The class is college-grade stuff, and it's mandatory for engineers, yet I haven't seen anything yet unique to the programming language that can't be done through something like Excel. The professors pile work onto us that has to be done by the next lab, yet they'll waste half of the lab teaching us something completely irrelevant and because I have a ton of other classes and work to do, I have to get it all done the day it's due and not some time before.

The final nail in the coffin was what just happened now. The programming language I'm using is loving stupid and I'm pretty sure almost crashed my computer. I typed in a function that was not made very clear in class (it's part of the HW) and instead of doing it correctly, it flooded my screen with infinite pop-ups that kept coming and slowing everything down, even though I tried closing the program out because it was acting weird, and it had said it stopped. I ultimately had to do a hard reset, FMFL.

I don't know anymore, what do you guys think?

what kind of janky ass language

what kind of janky ass language

It's called "Matlab". It's some special programming language for engineers or something IDFK

either way I learned a little Java in high school and this seems about as confusing as when I first learned Java

It's called "Matlab". It's some special programming language for engineers or something IDFK

either way I learned a little Java in high school and this seems about as confusing as when I first learned Java
matlab is like standard in research labs worldwide. it can do math and graphing far better than excel can.

tolerate it as there's a reason why this is still in use despite being more than 2 decades old. unless you believe scientists are fundamentally stupid...

edit: i can't say anything about your class itself though. professors are always a hit and miss
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:28:56 AM by Conan »

Matlab is a pretty great language, also what the forget exactly did you do to make it do as you said?  Matlab is a language that literally deals in math on a programming level, so I'm highly inclined to believe it isn't the code's fault...

In any case, Matlab is NOTHING like Java.  The only similarities are basic fundamentals that many languages have (loops, control statements, etc.).  Basic math things can be done in Excel but Matlab excels over Excel in doing anything complicated and calculus oriented.  Excel probably has the same functionality now but it's Excel so it kinda sucks.

I'm also going to assume that since it's mandatory for engineers, you're an engineering major, and you'll have classes down the line that require Matlab (we do at my school too, but a Matlab class isn't necessary though there is a 1-credit Matlab course I did take and got an A+).  Better to get the hang of it now than later.  Sounds also like this is going to be a class of self-teaching.

tolerate it as there's a reason why this is still in use despite being more than 2 decades old
well... pretty much every major programming language is at least that old

and instead of doing it correctly, it flooded my screen with infinite pop-ups that kept coming and slowing everything down, even though I tried closing the program out because it was acting weird, and it had said it stopped.

i remember intentionally making something like this in a class and giving it to some chump lol

on the bright side it's only one class worth of programming you have to suffer through, right?

real men program everything in Scratch

lol do you go to my college? I'm taking literally an identical programming course.

>complaining that you are learning a highly complex and useful language used in almost every research paper in the last 5 years

?????

>complaining that you are learning a highly complex and useful language used in almost every research paper in the last 5 years
highly complex is a bit of an overstatement but it is indeed extremely useful if you're working in any part of engineering

Where i am going matlab is the programming language you use in the cs classes you take if you're not a CS major. Also in my experience those classes are usually weedout classes that slam you with work to see if you dont get overwhelmed. Bear with it.

Js can do math too

Yeah but its better you use a language which is exclusively aimed at such thing.