Anthony Fantano takes on PJW's "The Truth on Popular Culture"

Author Topic: Anthony Fantano takes on PJW's "The Truth on Popular Culture"  (Read 5647 times)

Anthony Fantano's response
Original video by PJW

What's your opinion on pop culture? What do you think about post-modernist art movements? Discuss.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:32:43 PM by IkeTheGeneric »

I'm on PJW's side entirely with this tbh

Culturethany Poptano here

im not going to bother watching either because i have so little time, but pop culture is about becoming successful and not caring about things and what other people think. that's today's pop movement.

i always find it interesting how the same people that complain about popular music or trends are the first to defend the objectification of women in video games and anime
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:38:03 PM by PhantOS »

A dry reboot that was universally criticized for ruining the source material isn't really indicative of how pop culture is at a decline, though.

if pjw assumed that the average person wants to be just like kim kardashian, what random celebrity on the internet does he want to be just like lmao

Ironically, much of the things PJW is going to bring up would've existed for every pop culture movement at some point in time. In the 80s there were people who thought that rock and pop all sounded the same and that 20s jazz gave a much better message. In the 90s there were people that thought that the hip-hop movement was promoting violence and youth to drop out of school, and 70s folk songs were better. We now have people who say this pop culture movement sucks and everything about it sucks, and that the 90s was 'much better' or some dumbstuff.

the trends of popular culture stay the same every movement. the only thing that changes is the audience's tastes.

what is the relevance of this
its master matthew. dont question it

PJW's rant boils down to this idea that pop culture is becoming so derivative and embarrassingly obscure that it's posing a direct threat to western society by, in his words, giving our enemies a justifiable reason to destroy us. I just don't see how anyone can agree with this point, it's such a wild and bombastic claim.

what is the relevance of this

He's trying to imply that since the new powerpuff girls reboot sucked, it means that we're all wrong about pop culture not being bad. Master Matthew is an idiot, in other words.

if pjw assumed that the average person wants to be just like kim kardashian, what random celebrity on the internet does he want to be just like lmao
Humble Water Filter Merchant

i thought pjw was like a joke sjw where he was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich but that doesn't appear to be the case

i thought pjw was like a joke sjw where he was a peanut butter and jelly but that doesn't appear to be the case

I like the parallel that Anthony drew between PJW and Anita Sarkeesian, that they're practically arguing from the same standpoint of the corruption of pop culture, and yet you'll find the same type of people hail PJW's opinion, but discard Anita's.