[NEWS] Cloudflare Reverse Proxy leaking Uninitalized Memory.

Author Topic: [NEWS] Cloudflare Reverse Proxy leaking Uninitalized Memory.  (Read 2642 times)

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1139
On February 17th 2017, I was working on a corpus distillation project, when I encountered some data that didn't match what I had been expecting. It's not unusual to find garbage, corrupt data, mislabeled data or just crazy non-conforming data...but the format of the data this time was confusing enough that I spent some time trying to debug what had gone wrong, wondering if it was a bug in my code. In fact, the data was bizarre enough that some colleagues around the Project Zero office even got intrigued.

It became clear after a while we were looking at chunks of uninitialized memory interspersed with valid data. The program that this uninitialized data was coming from just happened to have the data I wanted in memory at the time. That solved the mystery, but some of the nearby memory had strings and objects that really seemed like they could be from a reverse proxy operated by cloudflare - a major cdn service.

A while later, we figured out how to reproduce the problem. It looked like that if an html page hosted behind cloudflare had a specific combination of unbalanced tags, the proxy would intersperse pages of uninitialized memory into the output (kinda like heartbleed, but cloudflare specific and worse for reasons I'll explain later). My working theory was that this was related to their "ScrapeShield" feature which parses and obfuscates html - but because reverse proxies are shared between customers, it would affect *all* Cloudflare customers.

We fetched a few live samples, and we observed encryption keys, cookies, passwords, chunks of POST data and even HTTPS requests for other major cloudflare-hosted sites from other users. Once we understood what we were seeing and the implications, we immediately stopped and contacted cloudflare security.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13718752

holy forget

they responsibly disclosed this right

RIGHT?

edit: they did, good

Tales from 4chan: Anon Works IT Part 5

they responsibly disclosed this right

RIGHT?
this was ongoing for months

patched a week ago

didn't tell anybody outside of their special mailing lists until today

this was so noticeable that google and friends were literally caching the data and they had to work with them to get the data purged

except this is real

this was ongoing for months

patched a week ago

didn't tell anybody outside of their special mailing lists until today

this was so noticeable that google and friends were literally caching the data and they had to work with them to get the data purged
that's pretty forgeted

why are you like this

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:19:23 PM by Decepticon »

what is wrong with you
there are not words in the english language to answer this question

there are not words in the english language to answer this question
oh there are words but i'd much rather not get banned for flaming again

https://github.com/pirate/sites-using-cloudflare

The list of sites affected is genuinely horrifying. If you haven't had an excuse to change your passwords in the past, here it is now.

This includes blockland.us

This includes blockland.us
I mean, this could be the reason behind the forum breaches as well. Who knows.

i like how this page on cloudflares website just shows freaking metallica as one of their 5 million websites

https://www.cloudflare.com/under-attack-hotline/

For each eligible vulnerability report, the reporter will receive:

• Recognition on our Hall of Fame.
  • A limited edition CloudFlare bug hunter t-shirt. CloudFlare employees don't even have this shirt. It's only for you all. Wear it with pride: you're part of an exclusive group.
  • 12 months of CloudFlare's Pro or 1 month of Business service on us.

Monetary compensation is not currently offered under this program.

lol