Source Engine Games Randomly Dropping FPS

Author Topic: Source Engine Games Randomly Dropping FPS  (Read 1466 times)

I need some help sorting out a problem if any of you can.

Sometimes, seemingly at random (I haven't detected a pattern, anyway) games on source engine are dropping FPS down to 1-3 on launch. From that point, any source engine game will also have the same problem until I log off of my account and log back in (or restart my computer or whatever, you get the idea).

Anyone know what might be behind this? I've been messing with my settings a little bit but so far it hasn't been so difficult to log out and back in when it happens.

That's because Source engine sucks, and it was never really reliable in the first place. Besides source engine was originally made in 2004, and that was before dual core processors. so the source engine really isn't well optimized for multi-core rendering, and while some games with source can utilize it, that doesn't mean it does it well.

That's because Source engine sucks, and it was never really reliable in the first place. Besides source engine was originally made in 2004, and that was before dual core processors. so the source engine really isn't well optimized for multi-core rendering, and while some games with source can utilize it, that doesn't mean it does it well.
fake news bucko

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER4
2. rendering is done on the GPU
3. you're an idiot

it might have something to do with steam cloud syncing

Master Matthew is a loving idiot, but he's not entirely wrong in his sentiment, only mostly wrong.

Multi-Processor support was only available with Source 2007 (The Orange Box) after a large refactoring of the codebase, and it wouldn't actually be stable until the Left 4 Dead branch. While rendering is technically done on the GPU, the CPU is still responsible for communicating and assigning tasks and data to the GPU, and having more cores means less load as the game also needs to do audio, physics, input etc on the CPU.

If you could give me your PC specs, that would help. Are you running on a laptop? Are your Source games using the correct GPU (many PCs have the option in your GPUs configuration settings to use either the integrated or dedicated graphics system, and most software is assigned the former by default which can affect game performance negatively)?

the source wars have begun

Matthew talks about something he's wrong about number 86456135

If you could give me your PC specs, that would help. Are you running on a laptop? Are your Source games using the correct GPU (many PCs have the option in your GPUs configuration settings to use either the integrated or dedicated graphics system, and most software is assigned the former by default which can affect game performance negatively)?

CPU: 4790k i7
GPU: GTX 1070 8 GB GDDR5

The reason I'm asking is because it normally works great. Sometimes the games just won't run right for some reason.

you do realize that the version of source we use current day is very different than the first. multithreading is used in any source game from the last, like, 10 years.