Headphones Debacle

Author Topic: Headphones Debacle  (Read 1008 times)

for the longest time the way ive listened to music or youtube videos on my computer has either been through a set of 4 altec lansing speakers (with sub) that are pretty nice, or through headphones, but here's the catch. The ones ive been using until recently are a pair of early 1970s david reimer rystyl hs 300d headphones, the problem, a large style jack. Wont fit into my laptop. Next to my laptop there's a cassette deck that I occasionaly record mixtapes on, so to listen to music one day, I had the idea to run an RCA to aux cable from the REC input of the tape deck to my laptop (which is how I record tapes as well) and then put a blank cassette in the deck, turn the deck on REC Pause, (record preview mode for volume and quality check where it lets audio through) and plug the headphones into the large style phone jack. to control the volume ive used the input level control on the tape deck.

anyway, the reason im making this topic is because my brother just gave me his roomates dated but functional retired Logitech g430 headset and I thought "Problem Solved!"

I was wrong, first of all, my laptop has only 3 usb ports, one of which is already my mouse, the second is taken up by a webcam (also my current gaming mic) the third alternates between an SD card reader and my driving force pro wheel for racing games. I want a seamless system here, id rather not unplug and replug things for different purposes for example if I wanted to play a game on my speakers (my normal way) id have to unplug the headset and replug the webcam because you cant use the headset mic without the headset. same applies for video calls obviously. I could simply plug the green side of the headset into the audio port, but that would leave the pink end flapping about

the other issue is that even on full volume the headset isn't nearly as loud as id like for music listening, so I thought to myself, hmm, If I ran an aux to rca to my tape deck, then plugged the green end into the phone jack using an adapter on rec pause I could solve my usb port problem and turn the tape deck into a pre-amp thus making the headset louder and leaving me with my webcam mic.

Im right back where I started, the only diffence is that the pink side of the headset is dangling down off the tape deck and the damn cord for the headset is ten feet long and I can see myself running it over with my chair and tbh, the old headphones sound just as good

TLDR I had a really complicated system and new equipment didn't make it any less complicated
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:28:29 AM by warble »

a good pair of headphones costs $8-20
I kinda got lost in all the technical jargon but im sure you could solve your problem with about that much cash

[...] a pair of early 1970s david reimer rystyl hs 300d headphones, the problem, a large style jack [...] the old headphones sound just as good

Large style jack, as in a 1/4th inch jack? You could just get something like this. I'd stick with the 300d headphones if I were you.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:15:13 AM by NoZoner »

you could also get something like this for more USB ports

3 solutions:

1. buy a pair of headphones that have a lower impedance (25ish ohms) so your computer can actually power them. (NOTE: i couldnt find specs on your pair of headphones from the 70s so i cant tell if theyre already low impedance)

2. get a cheap headphone amp/external soundcard that has a 1/4 inch output. this is essentially what you're using your tape deck for but these will have better clarity and not use energy to power useless tape motors while using it. I would say something like this https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Ultra-Compact-4-Channel-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B000KIPT30 walmart has an 18 dollar one from some crappy brand too but i would just pay the 7 dollars more for the behringer cuz its probably nicer.

3. buy a powered usb hub

out of these 3 i would suggest #2, unless you really want to use the headset in which case option #3 is obviously more fitting

To be honest I can't believe you didn't think of getting an adaptor for the old headphones

I went to both radio shack and best buy to see if I could get a large to small adapter, and nobody had one, so I thought they didn't even exist, guess I should've searched amazon, still my old 1970s headphones are 8 ohm so I don't know how they'd work

I went to both radio shack and best buy to see if I could get a large to small adapter, and nobody had one, so I thought they didn't even exist, guess I should've searched amazon, still my old 1970s headphones are 8 ohm so I don't know how they'd work
then basically your computers headphone adapter is always gonna give weak power and you should get the headphone amp that i linked