Top-Down Dungeon Gamemode Concept

Author Topic: Top-Down Dungeon Gamemode Concept  (Read 2073 times)

This is something I put together as a "proof of concept." It makes use of the unused setWorldSpaceMovement function and the 2DCamera events.

You don't need to download any add-ons, this is plug and play/standalone.
http://piber20.com/d/bl/GameMode_Dungeon_Concept.zip

I plan to expand this idea into a mixture of Pit of 100 Trials, Zelda, and The Binding of Isaac.

How does the gameplay feel? Do you think I can pull this off in a better way? Has something like this ever been done with Blockland? Anything else come to your mind? Feel free to give some ideas/suggestions/criticism, or use this as a base for your own top-down gamemode, I don't mind.

Great idea for a sort of gamemode by the way, I seem to remember a top-down zombie survival thing being built in BL at some point though? Many moons ago.

The only thing I would say about this is the fact that having the direction that you're facing in the same as normal is quite disorientating. The directional movement is fine but it's more fitting to have the player constantly looking at a crosshair, however this to me sounds out of reach of Blockland but I wouldn't be surprised if that was possible.

Another thing would be the jumping. I'm not sure how I feel about jumping in a top-down perspective, seems kind-of strange. But hey: if it's used in the correct way then this will be great. We need more variety like this.

I was planning to do the samething for my [upcoming] bomberblock gamemode.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 12:37:05 PM by FelipeO_O_ »

it's more fitting to have the player constantly looking at a crosshair, however this to me sounds out of reach of Blockland but I wouldn't be surprised if that was possible.
I thought about mounting an invisible hat on a player that would emit a particle from a point a distance away, and the particle would have the graphic of a crosshair. I don't know much about modeling though or how to set up datablocks, so I'm not sure how possible this is.

I'm not sure how I feel about jumping in a top-down perspective, seems kind-of strange. But hey: if it's used in the correct way then this will be great. We need more variety like this.
I tried to replicate StarTropics II: Zoda's Revenge:
(random image search)
It's a top down game that makes use of elevations. It was made very late in the nintendo's life. (in the 90's!)
Very obscure game, but I loved it and played it as a kid, even though the NES was a bit before my time.

Not really sure if I made my point clear enough before, but I'll just clarify it. Found this on Google images (please don't sue me :P)

This way of aiming feels a lot more natural, similar to Hotline Miami, whatever that game is above, 12 is better than 6, and other top-down examples.

I would love to have mouse controls like that, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to do that without client mods/dlls.

My top down script disables jumping and I fixed the hitbox so you can't crouch.

I would love to have mouse controls like that, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to do that without client mods/dlls.
yes

My top down script disables jumping and I fixed the hitbox so you can't crouch.
yeah you can do this with custom playertypes and stuff. you can even disable the crouching anim if you define your own playertype anims.