"94-year old Lithium battery inventor unveils new glass battery"

Author Topic: "94-year old Lithium battery inventor unveils new glass battery"  (Read 941 times)

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/glass-battery-technology/

Neat stuff, we might finally never have to worry about the dreaded "overcharging" of stuff anymore when this is released. I just hope production goes into full swing before this man turns to dust.

this man's last loving name is goodenough

this man's last loving name is goodenough
I think around his conception, his parents were told to leave well enough alone.

i wouldnt worry about the tech not reaching market. batteries are going to be a highly lucrative field as the shift to electric continues, and top tier  chemists/chemical engineers are probably working on a cheap reliable way to synthesize these right now

probably will see these in a couple years

i wouldnt worry about the tech not reaching market. batteries are going to be a highly lucrative field as the shift to electric continues, and top tier  chemists/chemical engineers are probably working on a cheap reliable way to synthesize these right now

probably will see these in a couple years
I didn't think they wouldn't go anywhere, I just hope that the guy can see yet another massive change in everything as a result of him.

I really hope to see these soon. I guarantee you this will revolutionize the market for so many things.

Imagine your phone being able to last multiple days on a battery, without having to make it any thicker.
Imagine an electric car that can do basically any amount of inner-city travel without worry of running out of juice.
Portable gaming consoles (AHEM) that last hours upon hours on a single charge without any additional accessories.

It's a shame he's not an australian with a surname like goodenough lol. That basically encompasses our entire culture.

Imagine an electric car that can do basically any amount of inner-city travel without worry of running out of juice.
oh stuff. isn't that basically the only hangup on electric cars right now?

also it's pretty amazing for a 94-year-old to still be ahead of the curve on new technology. very neat.

Portable gaming consoles (AHEM) that last hours upon hours on a single charge without any additional accessories.
I lost the charger of my DS about a year ago and that stuff still has juice to continue playing.

oh stuff. isn't that basically the only hangup on electric cars right now?

that and they drain juice insanely quick under full acceleration

street racing can now be environmentally friendly

this is how you phase out of using oil and other nonrenewables

not through subsidies and restrictions, but through R&D

way to go oldie

Actually it'd be okay if he dies. We can just stick him on a charger.

Actually it'd be okay if he dies. We can just stick him on a charger.
Press F to Recharge

this is how you phase out of using oil and other nonrenewables

not through subsidies and restrictions, but through R&D

way to go oldie
well even if the tech exists companies tend to make very little production line changes if they can avoid it. subsidies and restrictions strongly encourage/force companies to avoid certain practices and follow more environmentally friendly ones. even if said tech is fundamentally cheaper, the cost of switching tends to make companies very wary of changing.
as an example: my dad works in the semiconductor manufacturing industry, and the chips that run their machines are literally over 2 decades old, only because they dont want to risk any chance of screwing up their production capabilities or software problems. they only switched recently because the manufacturer, intel, stopped manufacturing those chips. given that each machine the company sells goes for ~$10 million (and they sell thousands of units per year), its not surprising that they are so hesitant to update their hardware/software if it works in its current state.

the main issue circles around whether or not restrictions/subsidies is a good way to make companies change their practices. tech improvements alone wont guarantee it, unless there are so many benefits that make it outweigh all the possible ways things can go wrong when switching + the cost of switching. this is very likely be one of those few cases, but you can't expect every case to be so cut and dry like this.