[COMPUTERS] Monitor doesnt show anything after installing new gpu

Author Topic: [COMPUTERS] Monitor doesnt show anything after installing new gpu  (Read 1339 times)

posted from mobile
I have recently installed a new GPU, i turn my PC on and the screen is off
I tried replugging the hdmi cord, no signal
what do pls help

Did you try using other display cords?
Maybe the port/cable is dead?

Did you try using other display cords?
Maybe the port/cable is dead?

its HDMI, im using my default HDMI socket on the back of my computer
whats a dead port/cable
note, the plug does not fit in the extra hdmi outlet on the gpu
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:27:54 PM by NotBomberguy »

You're not giving anybody enough info to work off of, so here's some basic troubleshooting.  Have you made sure the card is installed properly?  Did you try a different monitor?  Maybe the HDMI cable is to blame, try a different cable.  Try a different display method, it might be that the HDMI port on the card is non-functioning and would need to be repaired or returned.  Does your motherboard have the primary display device set to integrated graphics?

its HDMI, im using my default HDMI socket on the back of my computer
whats a dead port/cable
note, the plug does not fit in the extra hdmi outlet on the gpu
so you're saying it's plugged into the motherboard and not the gpu?

Does your motherboard have the primary display device set to integrated graphics?
This is the first thing I would check. Plug the monitor into the onboard graphics and see if that works.

Otherwise, resetting the CMOS is typically my first "I installed new hardware and now it doesn't work" move

You're not giving anybody enough info to work off of, so here's some basic troubleshooting.  Have you made sure the card is installed properly?  Did you try a different monitor?  Maybe the HDMI cable is to blame, try a different cable.  Try a different display method, it might be that the HDMI port on the card is non-functioning and would need to be repaired or returned.  Does your motherboard have the primary display device set to integrated graphics?
1, no, but planning on it
2, as i said, the display outlet on the back of my pc is hdmi only and my current cable doesnt fit in the outlet from the gpu
3, how? plus the port is functional
4, no idea
This is the first thing I would check. Plug the monitor into the onboard graphics and see if that works.

Otherwise, resetting the CMOS is typically my first "I installed new hardware and now it doesn't work" move
already did option 1
how to reset cmos
so you're saying it's plugged into the motherboard and not the gpu?
yes

You're supposed to plug your monitor into the gpu's port, not the motherboard

that port on the GPU might be a display port and not hdmi

what if it displays HDMI

how to reset cmos
Read your motherboard or computer's documentation for more information on this.

Did you uninstall the old drivers and install new ones for that new card?

yes
ok well i mean you want your monitor plugged into your gpu so what ports does the gpu have

Your motherboard isn't just going to just waste electricity on its integrated graphics if you have a GPU plugged in. That would be ridiculous. When there's a GPU in the PCI-E port, the motherboard shuts off integrated graphics and the display port on your motherboard stops working.

Solution: Plug your monitor into your GPU