parents/family is horrible with computers story thread

Author Topic: parents/family is horrible with computers story thread  (Read 2471 times)

so my grandpa has a problem of clicking fake news stories on facebook and getting malware from it. i knew that it was from facebook, and tried lecturing him about it and that didn't work.

one day i'm sitting by him while he's on facebook and he sees something like "Annoying Orange tells comey off... and you won't believe what he says in retaliation". he goes on the website and a tab pops up and says he has malware and has a minute to fix it. he clicks it and the website leads him to a "computer tech assistance" website, and some representative instructs him to download DARKCOMET. he says "damn it i already downloaded this once why do i have to do it again?"

i just said forget it and reset the computer to factory settings. apparently the person on the other end has been injecting malware and adware into my grandpa's pc.

anyone have stories?

i want to know the philosophy behind how people can be so intelligent, but become catatonic when introduced to a computer.

my dad told my mom to clear some stuff off her laptop so she deleted all of the vital files in order for the computer to run

i think i spend an hour per month re-explaining to my mom how to send pictures to txt, email, and facebook from her phone.

My dad installed norton on all computers in my house (but my older brother computers). and he hasn't unsubbed from it yet, luckily I used a recovery CD to give myself Admin and uninstall blorton (bloatware + norton) on this laptop. and my friend's grandma forgeted up the their family's computer, she is always falling for those loto scams that just give you malware.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:13:20 PM by cooolguy32 »

i have a very computer literate family so i don't have to deal with this stuff

My dad installed norton on all computers in my house (but my older brother computers). and he hasn't unsubbed from it yet, luckily I used a recovery CD to give myself Admin and uninstall blorton (bloatware + norton) on this laptop.

oh that reminds me. my uncle swears up and down by norton being the best antivirus. he always complains his computer is slow, and my first suspicion is norton. i look up the processes, and norton is using 90% OF THE loving CPU USAGE. i silently removed it and put in malwarebytes. no problems ever since.

my parents are loving horrible with computers
my mom had to download this table software for her online college class and downloaded it through one of those sites that bundles a forgetton of junk with some ordinary software
she just went ahead and sped through the installation process, ended up with a computer that was damn near unusable because of all the malware

my mom was mad at me so she got on her laptop and started loving with all the settings and ruining Windows thinking that would somehow damage mine upstairs.

my mom was mad at me so she got on her laptop and started loving with all the settings and ruining Windows thinking that would somehow damage mine upstairs.
This is actually pretty funny

family's largely good with computers but my school's tech branch is comprised of the person teaching 7th graders how to use basic scratch
which really sucks because they apparently got a grant last year that got them to buy like 10 laptop carts

how the forget
does she think she has darkcomet or smth

one time my mom called a gif a "live-action meme"

My dad is pretty good with computers but he isn't the best, mainly from me teaching him how to do things, what parts are what and what they do, how to optimize stuff, etc

one time my mom called a gif a "live-action meme"
thats what im gonna call gifs from now on

Dad once asked me how to use the windows key

my family know how to use computers so i dont have any stories