mic not working in windows 10

Author Topic: mic not working in windows 10  (Read 2219 times)

I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but maybe you should try booting from a Live USB of something like Ubuntu and see if the mic exists / works on pavucontrol.

thanks, but nothing here worked :(
maybe your mic is just broken

If the PC registers that it's plugged in, maybe there's something in the jack that doesn't let the contacts touch. Happened with my phone that it registered headphones plugged in while I never plugged my headphones in and when I did plug them in, they wouldn't work.

maybe your mic is just broken
both of them work on my old windows vista PC though so i think the problem really is windows 10

I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but maybe you should try booting from a Live USB of something like Ubuntu and see if the mic exists / works on pavucontrol.

idk what most of this means but i'll look up these terms and then try your suggestion, thanks

If the PC registers that it's plugged in, maybe there's something in the jack that doesn't let the contacts touch. Happened with my phone that it registered headphones plugged in while I never plugged my headphones in and when I did plug them in, they wouldn't work.

that would be weird, since i had my microphone plugged in from the start and it suddenly just stopped working yesterday
i don't know what could have happened to the microphone jack while it was inside the PC
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:36:54 PM by Yosher »

idk what most of this means but i'll look up these terms and then try your suggestion, thanks
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows
Assuming you have a USB / DVD and boot from it Ubuntu will load up. Ubuntu will not be installed unless you want it to, though.
Pavucontrol is "PulseAudio Volume Control". It is basically an audio manager for Linux. It should come installed pre-default on Ubuntu. Once you run it, you should go to the "Input Devices" or something similar section and check if it works.

ok i fixed it by using some sort of USB device that i plugged my headphones and microphone jacks into, and then connecting that device to my PC
idk why this works but yeah buy one of...those things, whatever they're called, if you run into these problems as well

-WHOOPS IGNORE THIS-