Untitled Post-Apoc. Build: 5/13 progress, interiors/exteriors, and jumping ship

Author Topic: Untitled Post-Apoc. Build: 5/13 progress, interiors/exteriors, and jumping ship  (Read 3306 times)

This is a REALLY ambitious project that i'm wanting to take- a Fallout-esque massive open-world exploration/RP map.
I am thinking of moving this to GD to gather more attention/people wanting to help/more appropriate so be on the lookout within the next month for this to be in GD.

the build is obviously in it's really early stages, and I'm due to get burnt out/frustraded with building, so we can see where it heads. the map is pretty big (768x768 i think) but it's actually proving to be a little small for what it is, given that it's supposed to be a post-apoc world with sparse amounts of survivors.

5/8- I've been working on something that will be landmark for the map: a large interstate highway overpass. the roads are done and the supports are mapped out and ready to be planted with roads. I'm thinking of adding an "arefu" style town, a major exit for access, stalled cars, and other ruined/decrepit aspects.

5/13- i've slowed down on infrastructure, which was surprisingly the easy part when it comes to buildings. i've finished the large part of the overpass, and a ruined home and church. i've also made progress on some houses that will be used for a kind of main city. but i've also run into a problem with more of a purpose standpoint than design- it feels too small. i've gotten really aquainted and comfortable with the terrain that i've built, but theres several issues with it- it's too small, and building on it is way too hard. so, I think that I'm going to swap out for the really terrained desert with more of a flatlands with really terrained landmarks (buttes, mountains, canyons, etc) to keep it intersting. i could make the generated terrain larger, but the brickcount gets so high that even my machine which is pretty beefy cant run it even without shaders. with that, i'm going to see where building on a larger-scale flatter and less detailed terrain will land us, and I think that will better help achieving the feel of wandering about for hours without a soul in sight. i want people to tell me their thoughts on this, so feel free to pm/post or even come on down to my server and tell me what you think the terrain should be.

suggestions/requests/ratings/anyone who wants to help, please just say so
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:53:43 PM by Silreath »

2/10 no mini mart
the build itself is ok but wtf is that road pls.
x2 large lines is unacceptable x5 large lane, come on, can we not.

Nice pictures, cool ideas! But the road should be reworked. You can probably forgo road patterns as there would be no one to repaint the lines after society collapsed. There should be more imperfections on the road too, including potholes and cracks

I do like the erosion on the middle pillar there

Lovin those realistic post apocalyptic prices

I've created a terrain with some consumable plant life/dead trees/grass

Can you mate with the cacti?

that landscape is pretty handsome, did you use a generator?

that landscape is pretty handsome, did you use a generator?
thanks, and yeah I used ghost's PTG

Bumping for more visibility for update

yo this is dope, if you ended up making this into a playable map itd be pretty cool. do you have any idea on what gameplay would be like?

do you have any idea on what gameplay would be like?
on a surface level, the earliest "finished" product (basically closing off the edges, adding a bit of in-map content) would be a slow-paced DM. I mean this by basically just exploring, looking for others, perhaps teaming up, or slaughtering everyone who you meet (which wont be a good idea). Ammunition/guns will be a valuable resource here, which gives way to the exploration. Later, I'll be implementing food/water needs which will further push the need for scavenging. Somewhat of a DM/RPG mix.

love the atmosphere don't listen to sylvanor french roads are really dumb