Children shows back in the 90s were better

Author Topic: Children shows back in the 90s were better  (Read 3096 times)

I prefer animated shows in the early 00s overall.

I'd say my favorite animated show of all time is Mission Hill, it feel it was ahead of its time
thanks for helping me discover this show, this is actually pretty good

Regular Show has made love jokes.

i'm very interested in the years of the 90s-2000s and i'm even more fond of the technology, media, vehicles (i guess that's covered under 'technology'?) of the time along with many other things. so yeah, you can say that i prefer cartoons from the time because of that, and in my own opinion i'd say shows (not just cartoons) from the time were better (keeping a 90s-2000s variety in mind here), and i'm also in agreement with planr
same, I have a weird infatuation with 90s/early 2000s TV, tech, and aesthetic

Regular Show has made love jokes.
yeah iunno how people have this argument when regular show was a show on cartoon network explicitly not for kids.

Hey Arnold was a great show, but it was far more grounded in reality than most shows on the network, meaning it's really the only show that felt appropriate to make a reference to Riddler. Meanwhile, every other show from the 90's that's "not as censored" is the same as it is now - light, fun and zany, with small adult gags that kids won't get (IE the infamous anamaniacs Finger Prince joke, all the subtle love jokes in rocco's modern life).

That hasn't changed - there's two lewinsky jokes in Gumball, plus a scene where they make reference to the Hindenburg, Adventure time was post apocalyptic and had scenes where they showed mountains of human skeletons still clothed, teen titans go apparently had an entire forgetin episode about Raven's legs (that still baffles me).

That being said, obviously things in the 90's and early 2000's were looser, they could get away with more, but they still do, and even if they can't get away with as much, i don't think it's made the shows worse. The only thing that's worse is Cartoon Network, and not the quality of the shows(the quality is pretty damn good right now), it's the management.

i think the writing in today's shows is a little better, but most shows have really boring animation now (with the exception of the amazing world of gumball and wander over yonder)

idk man, creative works are always a product of their time, and cultures are changing constantly. shifts in what is considered acceptable and appropriate for children are gonna happen regardless because our cultural standards and what we expect of children change, and at the same time, the way we consume our media is changing. television isn't the only way to watch shows any more, and a lot of kids are probably using services like netflix and youtube. really, a lot of people are considering the current era of animated television to be a kind of second golden age, because we have had lots of really awesome shows come around like gravity falls, gumball, wander over yonder, regular show, adventure time, etc.

i don't think it's fair to say there's censorship happening just because the content has changed; our shows are just representing a different time where our priorities and ideas of what is and isn't appropriate have naturally nudged around a little bit. to be more precise, i find it silly to say that politics is getting too involved with art if artists are just expressing themselves, because politics is a highly influential cultural force, so naturally, artists are going to be influenced by politics
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:46:11 PM by otto-san »

teen titans go apparently had an entire forgetin episode about Raven's legs (that still baffles me).
I think Teen Titans Go is trying to implant special interestes into the minds of children, there was an episode that took the legs thing disturbingly further where the other Titans exercise their leg muscles, but it just looks like they have tumors, especially Beast Boy, Starfire looks completely normal though

Then was an episode about teeth, well, eating teeth, but it's still grossly detailed

And an episode that was basically inflation/overeating in which Beast Boy and Cyborg's stomach become large sentient stomachs because they suck down their food like vacuums instead of eating properly

And then there's the general focus on butts, specifically Robin's butt, but that's probably just for cheap laughs, but they did have Robin crossdress in Starfire's outfit at least twice throughout the show

But considering they're in their 4th season, episodes like that are very rare, but they're still awkward and disgusting

I think Teen Titans Go is trying to implant special interestes into the minds of children, there was an episode that took the legs thing disturbingly further where the other Titans exercise their leg muscles, but it just looks like they have tumors, especially Beast Boy, Starfire looks completely normal though

Then was an episode about teeth, well, eating teeth, but it's still grossly detailed

And an episode that was basically inflation/overeating in which Beast Boy and Cyborg's stomach become large sentient stomachs because they suck down their food like vacuums instead of eating properly

And then there's the general focus on butts, specifically Robin's butt, but that's probably just for cheap laughs

But considering they're in their 4th season, episodes like that are very rare, but they're still awkward and disgusting
holy stuff at this rate they're gonna usurp Totally Spies

I actually kinda liked Totally Spies, Teen Titans Go... not so much...

And then there's the general focus on butts, specifically Robin's butt, but that's probably just for cheap laughs, but they did have Robin crossdress in Starfire's outfit at least twice throughout the show

hey uhhhhhhhhhhh

I actually kinda liked Teen Titans Go
alright get in the gas chamber

I actually kinda liked Totally Spies, Teen Titans Go... not so much...
oh believe me i didn't mean quality of the show...

i meant the special interestes