Author Topic: Terrain Map Dev Thread [SUCCESS PAGE 2]  (Read 5174 times)

Is it possible?

Edit:
The entire purpose of this is so the players will download the DTS files.
The dts files in the server are referenced by TSStatic.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:48:11 PM by --LegoPepper-- »

I may be wrong, but I think there can only be one instance of shape, shapename or shapefile in a tsstatic

I may be wrong, but I think there can only be one instance of shape, shapename or shapefile in a tsstatic
Yeah only one per tsstatic. I want players to be able to download the shape files without it taking all the datablocks in the server.

Well all the server to client loading is probably handled in the engine. i'm sure someone could write a DLL that could achieve what you want, but at the same time its probably going to take a while just to download multiple DTS files anyways

Well all the server to client loading is probably handled in the engine. i'm sure someone could write a DLL that could achieve what you want, but at the same time its probably going to take a while just to download multiple DTS files anyways
Thats ok! The other option is to create a client that people download, which would be faster than dling ingane anyway.

That also works. Personally I think client mods and other outside-of-blockland downloads aren't always a good option, because about 50% of people who join won't be assed to download it, and you'll lose a lot of the newer playerbase.

Also, depending on the amount of shapes, downloading the client and starting and joining your server might take just as much time as simply waiting through the server download.

Don't use TSStatic. Use StaticShapeData and StaticShape, they work properly with the new download system.

The problem is if i use datablocks, i reach the datablock limit because there are so many shapes- so I'm looking for an alternative way to require the download of dts files without hitting the db limit.

If you're using over 8000 shapes, you're doing something wrong. Noone will wait to download that.

Its only 1kb per shape, approx 8mb total download

it'll probably be easier if you can just find a way to not use 8000 dts files

Merge multiple dts files into one, each with it's own node name.
Then use static shapes and call the node functions on it.

Don't use TSStatic. Use StaticShapeData and StaticShape, they work properly with the new download system.
StaticShapes allow the camera to clip through while in a vehicle.  TSStatic do not.

That sounds really interesting.  Can you make or do you have an example of something like that?

That sounds really interesting.  Can you make or do you have an example of something like that?
No, but it works the same way players do with hiding and unhiding nodes.

this.

StaticShapes allow the camera to clip through while in a vehicle.  TSStatic do not.
iirc ts static does not make shadeless materials glow in the dark, but thats a neat thing to know. maybe if you gave the dts a loscol the normal static shapes type will have that effect too??