Mail System ✉ - v2.0.0 Info

Author Topic: Mail System ✉ - v2.0.0 Info  (Read 10050 times)

"It’s amazing what you can accomplish by mail" -Andy Dufresne

The Mail System add-on includes bricks and items which allow players to send mail to each other. Four items are included: A note for sending short messages, a letter for sending long messages, a card for sending e-cards and a package for sending player items. To use them, just go up to a player's mailbox or post office box, and then click on it with one of the mail items. You can check your own inbox by clicking on the mail brick that you've planted.

Information:
  • Mail is stored within the brick itself; only a player who planted a brick can access it's inbox.
  • Both mail bricks will show a different model when you have received at least one new item since last checked (the mailbox will show the lid slightly open, and the P.O. box will display a key).
  • Both the note and letter GUIs support text codes, such as: <font:impact:24>, <just:center>, <color:ffffff> and ascii codes like \xaa
  • A black or whitelist can be set up, which will affect all of your mail bricks. You can also choose to temporarily disable all incoming mail.
    • Enter a player's ID and name (optional), and click "Add" to add them to the list; make sure to click "Apply" to save changes.
    • Limit of 50 items per brick, and 50 players per black / whitelist.
    • Inbox items and black / whitelists are not saved when the server shuts down (that feature may be added later). Players also don't have to be present on the server to receive mail, or for their blocking options to function.
    • You can send mail to yourself to see how the system works, including the blocking system.
    • Disabling incoming mail and toggling between the black / whitelist applies immediately - you don't have to click "Apply" each time.
  • Mail brick ownership should be maintained when saved bricks are loaded on multiplayer (however, they loose ownership if loaded as public / under host's ownership or in singleplayer)
  • Thanks to Mr. LoL and Drydess for their build photographs, used for most of the card backgrounds.

Download [Blockland Glass - 1.14mb]: https://blocklandglass.com/addons/addon.php?id=670

Ideas for Next Update:
  • Allow players to mail themselves?
  • [DONE] Add event to set any brick as a mailbox
  • [DONE] Allow adding prints to P.O. boxes (uses 1x1 letter prints)
  • [DONE] Message cooldown timer (to prevent spam)
  • [DONE] Allow adjusting the inbox limit and cooldown timer(via RTB / server pref vars)?
  • [DONE] Add post office drop box brick (to send outgoing mail to a player's mailbox or P.O. box)
  • Include new cards
  • Add sound effects?
  • Custom message GUIs?
  • Add mail saving?; store mail in script objects rather than in bricks; show # of items in inbox?
  • Prevent switching to "open" datablock if viewing inbox? (auto-update GUI inbox while being viewed when new item(s) is received)
  • Prevent direct links or images in notes and letters? Add Emotes?
  • Allow adding titles to mail when sent?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:10:50 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

when i first attempted to make a mail mod back when i was new to modding, i never envisioned something this visual or cool was possible.

this is a pretty loving impressive mod.

Is there some sort of cooldown or time in between which a player cannot spam a mailbox with mail?

Is there some sort of cooldown or time in between which a player cannot spam a mailbox with mail?
Not as of yet, but I can include a cooldown in the next update. For now, if spam does become an issue, you can set up either a black or whitelist, or temporarily disable receiving new items.

Edit: The add-on has been approved on Blockland Glass: https://blocklandglass.com/addons/addon.php?id=670
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:54:36 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

Can you make an event that makes an email interface, a buisnesslike domain email which can only mail to mails under the same domain, and a physical letter which you can write on and mail back?

Can you make an event that makes an email interface, a buisnesslike domain email which can only mail to mails under the same domain, and a physical letter which you can write on and mail back?
I have been considering an e-mail system; if it would really be a useful addition, I could include it in the near future. And there is a physical letter item included with the mod - it allows you to send long written messages to other players.

I'm thinking about including a public drop box brick in the next update, which will work similar to the mailbox, but would send mail to players for you. Mail would also be stored relative to players rather than bricks, so you only need to manage one inbox for all of your mailboxes and one for all of your P.O. boxes.

this is a really fun idea :)

add a menu for users without the addon

edit: we should get boxes to transport items via mail
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 02:40:02 PM by Potatoh »

Looks good I'm gonna be considering downloading it

Looks good I'm gonna be considering downloading it
this is a really fun idea :)
nice
when i first attempted to make a mail mod back when i was new to modding, i never envisioned something this visual or cool was possible.

this is a pretty loving impressive mod.
Thanks guys =)

add a menu for users without the addon

edit: we should get boxes to transport items via mail
A package for sending player items is actually already included. I could add support for sending mail via chat, but it might only make sense for the note and package.

Would it be too much to ask for an event to turn a specific brick into a mailbox?