China uncovers network of Apple employees selling customers’ personal data

Author Topic: China uncovers network of Apple employees selling customers’ personal data  (Read 1041 times)

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/06/08/china-uncovers-massive-underground-network-apple-employees-selling-customers-personal-data/
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/8/15762968/apple-china-employees-consumer-data-theft-scam
http://www.pcmag.com/news/354208/20-apple-employees-caught-selling-customer-data-in-china

Quote from: HKFP
Chinese authorities say they have uncovered a massive underground operation run by Apple employees selling computer and phone users’ personal data.

Twenty-two people have been detained on suspicion of infringing individuals’ privacy and illegally obtaining their digital personal information, according to a statement Wednesday from local police in southern Zhejiang province.

Of the 22 suspects, 20 were Apple employees who allegedly used the company’s internal computer system to gather users’ names, phone numbers, Apple IDs, and other data, which they sold as part of a scam worth more than 50 million yuan (US$7.36 million).

The statement did not specify whether the data belonged to Chinese or foreign Apple customers.

The suspects, who worked in direct marketing and outsourcing for Apple in China, allegedly charged between 10 yuan (US$1.50) and 180 yuan (US$26.50) for pieces of the illegally extracted data.

like this wasn't already happening

how tf were they able to get all that stuff so easily

Poor internal security model.

Well, Iphones are pretty stuff.

funny that Apple complained about having to provide a masterkey to law enforcement because it would cause information leaks when it turns out the employees are doing it themselves

Happy that it's out of the picture, and happy that I wasn't using apple's services so my info wasn't being sold.

funny that Apple complained about having to provide a masterkey to law enforcement because it would cause information leaks when it turns out the employees are doing it themselves

To be fair, that was a completely different problem regarding the on-device encryption; nothing to do with the security of their internal services such as appleID (which is probably where the information is coming from in this case).

Well, Iphones are pretty stuff.
id bet 7.36 million dollars that every popular mobile device company does this exact same thing

Happy that it's out of the picture, and happy that I wasn't using apple's services so my info wasn't being sold.
your info's def being sold somewhere lol
ot: ill have to do more research when i get the time, but is this related to those hackers that threatened apple saying they had millions of appleid users personal info?

your info's def being sold somewhere lol
Well, I mean, yeah, some form of information about me is definitely being sold (like which youtube videos I watch, for example), but I control what kind of info it is as much as I can. Not giving out my real name or billing information to various companies (if PayPal is selling stuff, I'll be screwed), blocking trackers online, using VPNs, not posting every little thing I do to facebook, etc etc.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 06:16:18 AM by MrLoL² »

>china is the good side of this story

what the forget is going on