Intel indirectly threatens Microsoft and Qualcomm with patent war

Author Topic: Intel indirectly threatens Microsoft and Qualcomm with patent war  (Read 1125 times)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davealtavilla/2017/06/09/intel-puts-microsoft-and-qualcomm-on-notice-regarding-windows-10-x86-emulation-on-snapdragon-devices/#5d9d2c2f28e2

Forbes' website is horrible so I'll try my best to write a synopsis here.

Intel recently wrote a blog post alluding to them taking action to protect their intellectual property shortly after Microsoft announced Windows on ARM and their plans to use Snapdragon 835 ARM processors. In particular, Intel refers to Microsoft's plan to support running applications compiled for Intel's proprietary i386 architecture (the 'normal' desktop applications you're probably used to) on Microsoft's new ARM operating system by utilizing emulation of the i386. Intel claims that emulating the i386 architecture is a direct violation of their intellectual property, and points out how in the past they have won lawsuits regarding the emulation of their architecture (see Intel v Transmeta).

My opinion is that Intel currently stands to lose a huge market share if Microsoft moves away from Intel processors, and are going to fight heavy handed to keep that share as long as possible.

Link to the intel blog post: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/x86-approaching-40-still-going-strong/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:57:29 AM by Pecon »

InB4IntelIndirectlyMakesEmula tionEvenMoreLegal

wait, so how does intel plan to win long-term when a ton of their marketshare relies on microsoft?

i feel like suddenly getting into fights with microsoft would just lead to microsoft hopping to AMD, esp considering most computers aren't gaming comps- that is, cheap CPUs are theoretically better. cheapo is AMD's buying point after all

i get that this is probably just going to drive their business away, but they are in the right here, are they not?

i get that this is probably just going to drive their business away, but they are in the right here, are they not?
Yes, it's just that from the spectator's viewpoint it seems like it should be a better deal for them to not burn bridges with Microsoft like this. It seems almost clear that their main goal is simply to maintain their current share as long as possible, and they simply don't care about keeping a business relationship with Microsoft. One might speculate that they would do better off overall by just keeping what they have with Microsoft right now and looking for new ways to expand their market instead of holding tight to their dying architecture.

yeah kinda strange situation, but i get why intel would be hesitant to let ARM processors into a market space they've dominated for so long

< intel being at the forefront of innovation

really makes you think
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 03:39:18 PM by Metario »

>intel being at the forefront of innovation

really makes you think
i get it!!! because the pins are the most organizd in the center where the intel logo is!!!!

but they are in the right here, are they not?
depends on how you feel about patent law :)

Emulation isnt illegal.
Sony tried this stuff with bleem and it blew up in their faces, and bleem was a tiny little upstart company, if intel tries this with microsoft theyre going to get choke slammed.

Emulation isnt illegal.
Sony tried this stuff with bleem and it blew up in their faces, and bleem was a tiny little upstart company, if intel tries this with microsoft theyre going to get choke slammed.
tfw you know literally nothing

Emulation isnt illegal.
but
Intel claims that emulating the i386 architecture is a direct violation of their intellectual property, and points out how in the past they have won lawsuits regarding the emulation of their architecture (see Intel v Transmeta).