Author Topic: Blockland is NOT dead  (Read 9507 times)

In your post you clearly said you're gonna pick up not just inspiration but also maps from the older versions. Sounds to me like Brickland or Blockland Classic 2.

the more and more i try to build and do stuff in blockland, the more i think to myself, "this would be A LOT easier if i was just playing roblox." so why don't i play roblox instead? because roblox =/= blockland. blockland has a unique game feel (not really a way to describe it). There's a very thematic difference between blockland and roblox. but sometimes i think, "man blockland would be a lot better off if it just did some things blockland did."

Most things in blockland are not accessible at all. You shouldn't be surprised if I told you blockland started dying when RTB died. RTB was the like the backbone of blockland; it centralized stuff in a nice, tidy place (i'm surprised it took YEARS for a RTB replacement).

Default blockland is missing a lot of things. It's definitely playable (otherwise no-one would be playing blockland in v8) but it's awfully limiting. If you want to make anything advanced, you're going to have to download some stuff. Finding the add-on (if it even exists or has a working download link) is already loving tedious, but thank god the blockland forum's has the best search function ever. sadly, you have to register to the forum just to use it, (because some asshat ddosed the stuff out of the forums with it) and i doubt newcomers would register just to use a loving search function.

Also in roblox, you can still play the server featured in that old 2008 server. But in blockland, half of the stuff in the trailer isn't even real (cinematic); you can't play any of the stuff in the trailer. I constantly hear stuff about how people want this or that server back because it was so fun, but the server isn't up. In roblox the server is always up, and also, the host creator doesn't have to do some weird dedicated server set-up stuff, making it stupid friendly. 

Servers in blockland are more like online parties, quite literally. That gives blockland it's unique feel. Everything is fresh, but it definitely hurts the longevity of the game. I'm not saying "hurr durr make make blockland's server system like roblox's" because that would REALLY change the game, but I am saying is that we need some fundamental changes.

RESEARCH TIME

Well I mean your not wrong.
I have done some (although not to the extent I'd like) statistical research and yeah the game still receives a fair amount of (search) traffic,

I have God back and done some more digging, and what I found again exactly mirrors what I have said before. I'll take you threw it bit by bit. Apologise in advance, there is a lot of graphs ahead.

1. Search traffic for Blockland

NOTE: This is GOOGLE SEARCH TRAFFIC, not game traffic! That comes later.

The spike at the beginning is when the game first went on sale, it jumps up a lil bit again when it goes up on sale on steam, and again when one or more of its major updates comes out (I believe it was shaders and static builds?) and the game getting Greenlighted.

2. Search traffic for the forums

So this is the search traffic for the BL Forums (duh), it's not as high as it used to be, but certainly not as flat as the games search traffic. So this does show that there is still relevance to this game, and it's funny to see RTB besting roblox.

3. GAME TRAFFIC

Ok, so this one has a lot of images, most being self explanatory. They come from Steam Charts and SteamDB (DB = Database), which both take the data straight from Steam. The ones that need it I will explain/elaborate, otherwise it'll just be a bunch of images and/ graphs.

SteamDB:

Steam Charts:

- Note here that the player count has flat lined (essentially), it's going down so slowly that it's hard to notice without putting a ruler to it.

Now this is the interesting one!

What this shows is
A. The average amount of players for that month
B. The increase OR decrease in players from the previous month (as both number and percentage) and,
C. The total amount of players for that month

Focusing on 2017, this month (aka the last 30 days) has so far had the highest average and the most gain this year, yet so far the second lowest player count, and the highest average in the last 9 months!
The highest number of players ever was June 2014, and both websites say the same. What we need to know is, why? What attracted so many people?
Well digging a bit, that was the month Blockland got Greenlighted (Greenlit?) on steam! Yay!
Sadly though, the next month took a big dive.

So what does this mean for the game? What can we do?
Well, it's simple really and I believe pecon already said it, though there is a 'lil more to it.
So it's time for...

CONCLUSION

This information shows us that Blockland gained its popularity so to speak from "major events", shaders, static maps and greenlight. So in order to boost Blockland's popularity again we as a community must do a few simple things (not in any particular order):

1. Push/Fight back against the bad publicity. This is what is currently hurting the game the most I feel, but in doing so we have to remain "composed" and not make ourselves look bad, which will just make it worse and in a sense prove any points he had (you know who I am referring to right?).

2. Build the game up ourselves. People have already started doing this, with extremely cool adding and services like bringing back static maps, Blockland Glass, awesome vehicles and more. This ties in perfectly for the next bit,

3. ADVERTISMENT. Good advertisment. We need to show people that Blockland is still a game worth playing. The fact that it still has mostly dedicated players after 10 years is truely a testimate to it. Probably one of the most influential people would have to be Filipe, 8000 subs is a lot. Though I'm not saying he should do it alone, we should ALL get involved, and you know what? We can! As evident by the red chest collab.

TL;DR At the end of the day, what we need to do is "band together" and show everyone that we are not just a bunch of rando's who hate everyone else and don't know what they are doing. How? Well that comes later.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:33:50 PM by Rolfey95 »

Default blockland is missing a lot of things. It's definitely playable (otherwise no-one would be playing blockland in v8) but it's awfully limiting. If you want to make anything advanced, you're going to have to download some stuff. Finding the add-on (if it even exists or has a working download link) is already loving tedious, but thank god the blockland forum's has the best search function ever. sadly, you have to register to the forum just to use it, (because some asshat ddosed the stuff out of the forums with it) and i doubt newcomers would register just to use a loving search function.

It's honestly baffling how many basic utilities are not default.  The tab-shifting brick selector for instance (you know, being able to scroll through the brick categories in case there are too many), is not default.  It's such a simple yet necessary add-on that's never been made default in the 8+ years it's been around. 

Same with colorset selection.  If you want to change your colorset, there's still no default way of doing it aside from manually replacing your colorSet.txt
How user-friendly.

I mean, forget, we didn't even get in-game preference changing until v21, and even then it's incredibly limited.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:40:00 PM by Electrk. »

But if it doesn't die I won't get my damn insurance money!

Nice collection of data by the way, it's quite thorough (although it kind of pagestretches me).

But if it doesn't die I won't get my damn insurance money!

Nice collection of data by the way, it's quite thorough (although it kind of pagestretches me).
does blockland have a will

Thanks for the help with the image scaling, now I know how to do it in future.

[img ]http://i.imgur.com/e04c90w.png[/img]
i love how albert went from edgy dude to forgetin pandering to the max

I think Albert's videos aren't entirely serious, i think one of their descriptions says that he doesn't actually hate Blockland, and that he intentionally went onto the weirder servers just for laughs

It is somewhat a personal problem (and I choose not to go there as well), but I've seen a lot of new players drawn to the drama topic and to them Drama is our whole community. The Drama community is also a part of the overall community and that's just an issue with its current state.
Well yeah. It wasn't always like that. I guess the declining population makes it easier to target people throughout the place.

You wont remember BobMiner67 off in a forum with a thousand active users. But here, you recognize the specific people everywhere.

I think advertising and/or getting youtubers to play it is the best way to keep this game alive. Also, forget you to the people who give this game negative reviews on steam due to the fact that there's not many players. I've seen numerous reviews where it's just like "this game is DEAD. badspot pls bring back terrain and interiors. it's a good game though". If you want this game alive, then recommending it to people is the best thing you can do. It only hurts this games reputation when you give negative reviews, when in actuality blockland is a great game with so much replayability. That is, if we can introduce more people to the game.

Also, forget you to the people who give this game negative reviews on steam due to the fact that there's not many players. I've seen numerous reviews where it's just like "this game is DEAD. badspot pls bring back terrain and interiors. it's a good game though". If you want this game alive, then recommending it to people is the best thing you can do.
Wow, people actually do that?

Just to keep the ball rolling here.

I think some of use are on the right track here, if anything is to be done we gotta decide together.

Something I think we should do is make a NEW Blockland trailer, cause remember the old one is for 2013/2014 and shows things that no longer exist in BL or are no longer hosted.
The problem is that there arn't enough dedicated servers atm, which makes it hard to do a trailer like how they did with the original.

This is just the idea I have, what are other things we could do?

Something I think we should do is make a NEW Blockland trailer, cause remember the old one is for 2013/2014 and shows things that no longer exist in BL or are no longer hosted.
The problem is that there arn't enough dedicated servers atm, which makes it hard to do a trailer like how they did with the original.
half of the stuff in the trailer isn't even real, it's just acting.

I don't think not having enough dedicated servers are the problem. Boss Battle's is dedicated, but people only go on there sometimes. Electrk's Quake-Like DM is dedicated, yet no-one ever goes on there anymore. Greek2Me had both a dedicated Black Mesa DM server and a dedicated Trench Wars TDM; yet, people rarely joined. It's not like the servers are stuff; the problem is that there's no people to play with. What good is a multiplayer-game when there's literally no-one?

Bushido made a nice thread about this: https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=240443.0

A server I usually see on the server list is Stikfas's server. The reason why is server is popular (other than being good for many reasons that are too much to list) is because he always starts his server with 3 other co-host admins to kickstart the server.

Ok fair point. I guess part of my reason for that suggestion was because half the stuff in it you don't see anymore, so it's basically false advertising now.