Blockland is NOT dead

Author Topic: Blockland is NOT dead  (Read 9349 times)

Usually when I join a server, or watch a Blockland Youtube Video, I always get to see some comments saying "Blockland is dead" But to be fair, is it really? I've been thinking about this lately, sure, it might not be as active as it was a few years ago, but we still have an active community, and there are servers being hosted and people playing, I just don't understand that we get that comment a lot, sure, maybe it's done development wise or that the developers don't want to work on it anymore, but the thing is, Blockland is a Community Powered game, the content the game receives and the player base it has it's because of the Add-Ons and the content the players created, if we coudn't have that modding system then yes this game would had been abandoned years ago (to be considered "dead", then the server list would be completely empty).

It's just like Garry's Mod, the reason people still play it to this date is because of the creative and talented side of the community that always creates new mods for the Workshop, if it wasn't for that the game would be abandonware after one or two years of existance, anyway I know that this subject has been brought for discussison so many times, but I don't see this game dying anytime soon, it has been always like this, raising and lowering the ammount of active members depending on the time of the year, if this game was officially dead, Badspot would've announced that.

The problem that this game is having right now, is the lack of a fun variety of servers to play with, if we could gather some talented people to host dedicated servers that are fun to play, each being a distinctive type of server (TDM, Challenge, Hide and Seek, Racing, and so on) then it could attract more players to join, and we will be more enthusiastic to open up the server list and see all those fun servers to play, also, if we announce a big project for Blockland, and advertise it on youtube and on steam with friends, we can totally get more active players in it, let's say we announce a big server project, we will gather people interested to play in it again.

Also the Blockland Forums is incredibly active, there are always a good ammount of people online, sure some of them don't play the game anymore, but the big majority still do.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:03:25 AM by Filipe »

Well I mean your not wrong.
I have done some (although not to the extent I'd like) statistical research and yeah the game still receives a fair amount of (search) traffic, and I often see new players in the game (I take mental note of some of the players and their ID's that join my server).

TBH I thought this was Gona be some rando or troll with some half assed reason. Glade to see it wasn't.

I wouldn't say that Blockland is dead but I would say it isn't as alive as it use to be.

it's very sad that even amunt of posts coming each next year is lowering than it was. I hope we obtain some new players.

I wouldn't say the forums are incredibly active, nor is the game.  They're both still active, yes, but activity has objectively been in a steady decline since around 2011

Still pretty damn active for an indie game made in 2004 though
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:56:10 AM by Electrk. »

it's not dead, it's just dying. slowly.
a single update in 2016 and no foreseeable updates this year. don't say that it's because nothing should be updated because of add-ons, there's still bugs and issues that can and should be be fixed.
dead's a stupid term, that would suggest that literally nobody plays the game whatsoever, but it's definitely declining more then ever with less forum posts then ever and less players on servers then ever
blockland will never be dead for the next decade or two (even if master server's down we'd find a way around it) but it'l definitely be more dead then it ever has been before. unless some massive update comes out, but i highly doubt that (and would that ever be worth it on a game/engine as old as this?)

It's not that dead, I think it's very slower than years ago. There were a lot more of content coming from the game before. But, now, most of these are gone. Machiminas aren't produced as much. We have BLC, Block Wars, and my machimina I am working on. Although, we have that but, it's still smaller than what we have. There were some creative servers but, now, the servers are kind of bland or repeats. There were some replayable servers (Well, for me at least) like Left 4 Block, and my friend once opened an freebuild and did some sort of an RP with an story. Now, with L4B being broken and ZAPT being rare. My friend stopped hosting it for some reason. These are some losses we had and i haven't pointed out much yet. But, it's more slower as community than it is dead. Probably, we would have more losses in the future.

Also, would saying its not dead would ironically get it be on the dead list?

bl is gonna be dead in a few years because badspot is a greedy clown that is both too lazy to work on the game and too prideful to give it to someone who would actually give half a damn about it
sorry not sorry

Still pretty damn active for an indie game made in 2004 though
it's pretty impressive innit

bl is gonna be dead in a few years because badspot is a greedy clown that is both too lazy to work on the game and too prideful to give it to someone who would actually give half a damn about it
sorry not sorry
Or its just a super old game that wouldn't be worth giving to another company as that company 1. wouldn't make much more off of it and 2. probably wouldn't want to work with the old af engine.  I feel as though it would be easier to entirely rewrite the game in a new engine than to try to fix things such as vehicle physics and not being able to build sideways.

sorry not sorry
u cant just give a license to an engine u dont own

More people stuff on this forum than actually playing the game. lol

I think you can see why people think the game is dead. I mean, the population drop has definitely been apparent in-game and on the forums. Even without the statistics.
Personally, I really don't enjoy the game that much anymore either. At least not so much out side of my own server. It's for sure a different game when I started playing it in 2008, and well it is what it is I suppose. I think a lot of new players are just daunted by the complex mods and builds the more experienced players put out. Sure there are some freebuild servers and places for new players to do whatever, but I haven't really seen any new players doing anything that "new." They all just seem jump on this collective mindset of improving on what has been done and get bored trying. I really miss players making things like the default saves (both from pre-v21 and now). Like Beta City or that city on the counter on Kitchen, and I think the absence of those simpler but fun builds being created has made new players less interested. I dunno. When i started playing blockland there just seemed to be new and exciting things happening every day. Now? Not so much.

More people stuff on this forum than actually playing the game. lol
Also I'd agree with this, and I'd say a lot of our community on the forums is just toxic. Like seriously, I can't read the drama board without wanting to die.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 01:02:43 PM by Maya67 »

I wouldn't say it's dead, but it's definitely lost popularity. If we cleaned up the forums and if players started hosting / promoting a variety of high quality servers, I'm sure it would respark interest in the game and the community. We could also help promote the game and various servers on YouTube via Let's Play videos, Let's Builds, etc. - that would definitely bring back old players or even new ones.