Blockland Confederations Cup 2017 - [RAW STATS RELEASED]

Author Topic: Blockland Confederations Cup 2017 - [RAW STATS RELEASED]  (Read 39726 times)

Typical ball glitch, it rarely happens and we can’t really do anything about it

I can also understand these things happen in video games, but maybe don't give the other team a point for it, if it was clearly a glitch.

During the last game, players were really vocal about their performance issues and specifically on their latency. Every game, I am online watching the latency between the server and every individual player. Combined with the Lag Detector name changing, I watch every players' latency and their change in latency to validate any claims of lag. I bring up any issues to the refs and administration as they happen and as they resolve, and it's not a surprise that the players with notoriously bad latency are benched.

Players' names will show [LAG] if their latency has surpassed what we have defined acceptable and [DEL] if their change in latency (delta) is above what we consider acceptable. The prior is merely a slow connection, which can typically be compensated for, while the latter can cause instability and warping.

The past few games there's been plenty of players blaming their loss on bad latency. While there are a few bad eggs on each team, latency is undeniably stable and low (in terms of Blockland) for the vast majority. Many of the more vocal players surprisingly have the lowest latency, hovering around 40ms with only ~10ms variation. Some players hover around the 20s, the average is 50-60s, and a few international players are in the 100-200ms range.

You may consider me biased as it is on my hosting platform, so the tool is open for any other spectator or administrator to use. Others have confirmed the same situation.

The way Blockland operates, there is a difference between lag and latency. Latency is the speed of your network connection (not related to bandwidth, by the way. Your 3Gbps connection could still have horrible latency). Lag can also occur due to your machines' performance actually rendering the map and running the physics simulation. This is why we have a ghosting system for players so that unneeded bricks are not present.

Basically what I'm trying to get across is 1) we are aware of the latency situation for every active player, there's no need to inform us mid-game and 2) there's more to lag than latency. We do everything we can on the latency side and the performance of a player's device is their business alone. Turn off shaders, close out other programs, lower texture quality. FPS is not the responsibility of the server.

I can also understand these things happen in video games, but maybe don't give the other team a point for it, if it was clearly a glitch.

Okay so lets see what happened, so Referees can look into it

Skill4Life (stream) seen the glitch, Ragref (goalie) too.
Zentro scored, Ragref had the best latency out of all server, and yet he glitched. (and as described above, the server was alright, so it's not a latency issue)

In the clip posted above (Skill4Life's view) you can see all players looking at different spots, thinking the ball is where they see it on their screens.
Turns out Zentro had the ball in final, and scored, which is legitimate for him because he kicked that ball, and it triggered fireworks.
Other players, including defense, didn't see the true spot of the ball, only after the teleport, then realized it was Zentro having it

Now yes it was up to the Referees to accept or not the score, Jam should clear it up in a bit
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:27:22 PM by MrLoL² »

That's fine, you guys can go about it how you wish, but you cannot deny all the scripts you guys run takes part in the lag.

It's not like we would have won with that goal not counting but still considering the situation it shouldn't have been accepted

I think a solution to that problem is both refs must confirm there wasn't any ball glitch the affected the play; even if some players may claim they had a glitch, it should be ignored if both refs saw the same thing.

That's fine, you guys can go about it how you wish, but you cannot deny all the scripts you guys run takes part in the lag.
i can tell you right now only one script maybe could be causing the issue (tracers) and thats cause it generates static shapes. but they arent ghosted to every client so i doubt its the case

to try to resolve these problems with lag/ghosting/glitches anyways, ive reduced the generation speed and number, and yet people still report problems, so please stop using it as a scapegoat for any latency or desyncproblems.

scripts are not why things like this happen. it has to do with networking in BL more than anything else.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:59:44 PM by Conan »