About to turn 18, definitely going to buy a gun, not sure what to buy (BOUGHT)

Author Topic: About to turn 18, definitely going to buy a gun, not sure what to buy (BOUGHT)  (Read 10646 times)

Now that I'll be 18 I can buy myself a gun without having to put my parents through driving me to the gun store and having to fill out a ridiculous amount of paperwork. Its going to be the first gun I'll have in my name. I have a job, and only have to pay car insurance/gas so I'm not short on cash. I don't know what to buy though.
What I want:
100% a bullpup
UNDER $1600
Reliable
Good trigger ("But Sheep bullpups don't have good triggers!" look at Kel Tec RFB) I don't need the best trigger possible, but I don't want something that has a 10lb pull or something.
Either in .223/556 or .308/7.62x51

So here are the guns that I have in mind and am considering

Kel Tec RFB
.308 bullpup thats 100% ambidextrous. Spent casings eject from the front of the gun. I hear mixed stuff about the rifle, but most positive. People say its unreliable but haven't fiddled with the gas system while people who mess with the gas systems say the rifle has never malfunctioned once. It has an excellent trigger for a bullpup, extremely low recoil for a .308, and is extremely accurate for an 18" barrel. This is currently my top choice.

2nd choice

IWI Tavor
This rifle is the civilian version of Israel's service rifle. Its a 5.56 bullpup that is extremely reliable, accurate, and lightweight. Its trigger isn't as good as the RFB's, but it gets the job done. Its very customizable, too. It can be converted into 9mm for fun plinking.

hello hello fancy seeing you all here.

Time has passed, I'm 18, and I bought my gun.

The Kel Tec RDB

Similar to the RFB, but it shoots 5.56 and ejects from the bottom. It has a much higher rating than the RFB, as the RDB is way more reliable.

I just shot it today. Out of the box, not a single malfunction. Didn't touch the gas, shot different types of 5.56 and 223 out of it.

My only complaint is that it SURPRISINGLY gets hot after 60 rounds making the charging handle hot to the touch. At least theres a bolt catch/release :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:42:32 PM by Sheepocalypse »

nah brother i wanta bullpup

why not just get an ar platform? theyre proven effective for anything you could thing of

even though you want a bullpup you should instead get the S&W M&P Sport 2 because they're sick, they're 5.56, and you can get them for <$600

if you're just choosing between the two in the op then go for the latter, ive used it a few times and it's pretty sweet with its weight and size
although if you're looking for a good bullpup in general, just a standard famas f1 is p good stuff, decent price around what you're looking for, reasonable accuracy, and some good trigger from my experience

Damn I wish I had $1600 to drop on a gun. Just bought a $350 bolt action in .30-06 yesterday

12 gauge

this

why not just get an ar platform? theyre proven effective for anything you could thing of

I already have two of em
12 gauge
I have a few shotguns. In fact, I load my own shells
if you're just choosing between the two in the op then go for the latter, ive used it a few times and it's pretty sweet with its weight and size
although if you're looking for a good bullpup in general, just a standard famas f1 is p good stuff, decent price around what you're looking for, reasonable accuracy, and some good trigger from my experience
Uh, I don't think you can buy Famas's in the US.

the reason I want a bullpup so much is because I don't have one yet. I'm fascinated with the compact size you can get and how effective they are for home defense.

tfw in america you can buy a gun before you can buy a beer

Probably better that you learn how to properly shoot before you become an alcoholic

you should buy a barrett 50. cal

Wanna hear something funnier? A kid who turns 18 can buy one of these

But has to be 21 to buy one of these