Author Topic: Change Amazon passwords if you haven't recently  (Read 1130 times)

My account was compromised and got a ridiculous bill

There were at least 50 instances running in many regions using the largest server available to get in linux form. Not sure how this happened but I got it solved before it got much worse. Note that this all started 5 days ago, imagine if I did not catch this faster.

Change your password and make sure it is strong.

Amazon did contact me and told me to stop everything and delete private keys (I never made any private keys but there were a few keys that could get access to my account regardless of password changes) and then they can fix the problem - hopefully this is all resolved because I wasn't even involved
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:48:50 AM by Kyuande »

That sucks, can you get the money back, cancel the transactions or what?

That sucks, can you get the money back, cancel the transactions or what?
Amazon did contact me and told me to stop everything and delete private keys (I never made any private keys but there were a few keys that could get access to my account regardless of password changes) and then they can fix the problem - hopefully this is all resolved because I wasn't even involved

i replaced all the letters with numbers so i should be ok

holy stuff
my order was cancelled and that was the only thing because i don't have a credit card attached to the account

lmao

cue 3 pages of reaction posts

imagine hacking someone's amazon account to buy figdet spinners

i don't know whether to be scared or relived cause my password for my amazon is completely safe

that's stuffty. what'd they buy?

brown town training kits

brown town training kits
nonono that one was actually vis

they get your password then they immediately start mining for bitcoins with your card using amazon servers

they get your password then they immediately start mining for bitcoins with your card using amazon servers
using GPU compute servers as well that racks up quite a hefty bill with it being 6 dollars AN HOUR

use MFA and you /should/ be okay, I haven't had any of my AWS accounts hacked- but AWS should resolve this issue for you and waive the bill..

Yep. Issue is solved and monthly bill is now $0!

i'm so confused how does this work