Author Topic: Word Avalanches  (Read 2789 times)

idk where this most properly belongs so i'm putting it here for now (not like it won't die instantly anyway)

a word avalanche is, as the Subreddit so concisely describes it:

"[...] a highly contrived punny sentence (or longer series of words) with an emphasis on the repetition of syllables. Holorimes are a subset of these."

the way we make these is by writing a "setup" that buries the lead- that is to say, the reader shouldn't be able to determine what the avalanche's gimmick will be until they read it. (this is not the hard rule but it makes them way more entertaining)
the avalanche will then employ puns and clever wordplay- typically using a gimmick or motif- to create a strange and funny sentence
it's a little hard to describe, so i will start by showing you some of my own avalanches

Setup: Your boyfriend, a very drunk Bam Margera, uses haunted ghost bamboo to trick you into hurting yourself with an explosion

Avalanche: A boozed Bam beau boo-bamboo boo-boo bamboozle boom

Setup: Heath and Heathrow are two men who travel by boat. Heathrow stole some blankets and Heath- who speaks in the third person- angrily tosses the blankets away and threatens to leave without Heathrow if the shop owner does not hold Heathrow accountable

Avalanche: In throes, Heath throws Heathrow's throws. Heath rose, "He either owes, or Heath rows."

Setup: The children of a man named Adolf mail him one of their dolls, but since they're in custody of his divorced wife, the doll smells like her. This bothers Adolf, so he asks his friend- who just walked in and wants to relax- to get something to mask the smell.

Avalanche: Adolescents sent Adolf a doll, a doleful sense since- in essence- Adele's scent addles senses. Dolph sits, "Ayy! Dolph" Dolph winces "A dull incense." Ends Adolf.

note that simply employing alliteration and/or rhyming doesn't really make it an avalanche, it takes more cleverness than that, and the longer the better
take a look at the subreddit i linked above if you need any more examples. i look forward to seeing what you guys come up with or don't because this is probably way too dull for this forum
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 04:31:01 PM by VerticalHorizon »

set up: the ting go

avalanche: ssskrrra! pap pap kat kat kat! skibidi pa pap!

set up: Italian man quietly uses restroom so that the scat special interest party he's at won't run out of goods

avalanche: papa pia pattered to potty partly to purvey pee for the poo party

i would love to take down hippopopolus and topple the acropolis of monstrous hypocrisy that ensconces us

in a thousand years people will be trying to decipher these