Author Topic: Don't murder me, but i have a profile pic question.  (Read 1770 times)

I'm trying to set a simple turning animation of my logo as my profile picture, Its half a second long, 15fps, (though I've tried down to 5fps) and, obviously, 75x, and people say that the size limit is 2kb, but i've uploaded larger then that and have had it set, the static version of this profile picture i'm using right now as i type this is about 3.5kb, and thats cutting some corners for the sake of size already, the lowest i can possibly get this animated version is 16.2kb, theres nothing i can do to it beyond that to make it any smaller, while still being presentable, so i was thinking to myself "How the hell do people get around this size problem?! I've seen plenty of profile pictures that are more complex then this." So i look around and i see Conan's spinning cake, perfect example, its high quality, it's high fps, low number of frames probably, so i right click saved it, and wouldgya look at that,
 24kb!
So i say to myself, oohh! It must work differently for GIFs, so i compile a decent 15fps framerate version of my profile picture, 75x75 resolution, 7 total frames playing at 15fps, coming in at a total size of 25.2 kb, uploaded it, and it actually removed my most recent picture and set it to a previous avatar without my sayso, so i'm like... ok? so i try to set it to the crappiest lightest version i have, 75x, 5fps, about 2-3 total frames, 11kb, just reverts my profile picture again, I have no idea what is going on, can someone please clear this up for me, because i searched like hell and found nothing but "75x75 2kb max" when there isn't even a 2kb maximum.

The whole 2KB limit is a fiction, pretty sure only badspot knows the actual filesize limit

Have you tried stripping the metadata?

Have you tried stripping the metadata?
Idk if there is metadata, or how to check and strip it for that matter, I made it in Premiere Pro and exported as an animated GIF, there are no metadata related options anywhere in exporting

there are no metadata related options anywhere in exporting
normally there isn't

After a quick Google search, you could try http://www.verexif.com/en/

Website says that there is no XML in my GIFs, or in my PNG, and its around the size of Conan's profile pic, so why does it just revert my profile picture instead of setting it?

Use my avatar as a reference if you have to. I actually had the same problem before....

make sure your avatar is 74x74 (for even's sake!) and less than 90KB in filesize

If your avatar seems to take but doesn't change, use shift+f4 to reload the webpage and cache

max size is 75x75 max filesize is way higher than 2 kb, you just need to strip your meta data from the file, the main limiter is theres a chance that your image will be detected as a false positive, I've noticed this most frequently when theres bright colored red in the photo, usually you can solve this by taking certain parts of your image and turning them to slightly off red, just try changing simple little color details so that they aren't exactly green or red etc and usually then it works, sometimes changing your image to 74x74 works just because you change the inner file details of the image but this is not something you should always do you basically just need to make a bunch of small changes until it eventually works

if you want to make sure it doesn't have too much metadata, you could try opening it in a hex editor and see what's going on in it
you can also try uploading it to other websites and then downloading it, to see if they change the metadata themselves

make sure your avatar is 74x74 (for even's sake!) and less than 90KB in filesize
75x75 is fine, yours is not animated and is 51x64, it's not a good example

if you want to make sure it doesn't have too much metadata, you could try opening it in a hex editor and see what's going on in it
you can also try uploading it to other websites and then downloading it, to see if they change the metadata themselves
75x75 is fine, yours is not animated and is 51x64, it's not a good example

Mine is animated, what are you talking about

Mine is animated, what are you talking about
so it is, once at the start, just was very still for a very long time

so it is, once at the start, just was very still for a very long time

I only have it set to do the animation once instead of loop - You gotta use ctrl/shift+f5 if you want to see it animate via page refresh

Tried setting it to 74x

I checked online and the file has no metadata

it's 25kb

I just get the same Generic Error.

I just get the same Generic Error.

Hook me up with the image and I'll see if I can get it working for ya

Hook me up with the image and I'll see if I can get it working for ya
What would you be doing?