Author Topic: The BLF Society for Research of User History & Tech  (Read 3385 times)

I'm going to work on a much better OP in future but for the time being you'll have live with this stuffty thing.

While going through some old notes, I was reminded of this old thing:

So, one of the hobbies that's taken up more of my time than video games is trying to jot down every single thing I've played, read and watched from my history. Of course it's impossible, but I'm trying to at least get the most memorable stuff so I can figure out why I remember them.

I've had a few computers over my life time, but trying to place them on the timeline has been a creative challenge, especially since my parents don't remember anything and don't have the receipts any more. Here's the evidence I have so far:

First PC: IBM Aptiva/98SE Machine - Date: ???
  • IBM Aptiva 2171: Release Date - 1998ish
  • HP Deskjet 680C: Release Date - 1998ish
  • Windows 98SE: Discontinued Date - July 11, 2006 (Originally January 16, 2004)
  • Microsoft Office Pro 2003 disc: Files on Disc -  October 2nd, 2003
  • Microsoft Works V7 Disc: Files on Disc - July 13, 2002
  • A School Report I Made Using Microsoft Word, and the first thing I ever did on a computer (at least at home): 2003

The point of this thread is that I believe it is really important for users to research and understand their history, as it is a means to better learn why and how we go here and where we can go in the future. To that end, I want this thread to serve as a place for users to put down notes and info as they begin to start research topics such as:

• Computers & Consoles (Devices, Usage Limits, Maintenance Activities etc)
  • Video Games, Movies, Music & Books (Firsts, Favourites, Lessons Learned, Creations etc)
  • Places (Important Locations, Experiences and Moments etc)

This is not a place to put down any personally identifying information; just a dump for the stuff that was really important to you growing up. It's like a combination of Old Games Your Played But Forgot The Name Of and You Nostalgia You Lose, but I also want people to document how they figured stuff out (memory helps, but a lot of the time we find stuff by investigating evidence we come across).

The cool end result would be people making timelines of important things and moments that have come to define them.

Feel free to start by posting images of computers and consoles you used to have as a kid, or still keep around somewhere.

this piece of stuff supported me for 5 years as i delved into the computer world

Is Unova the emachines of the blockland forums?

all of the computers i had were stuff (except my current one)

1st computer:
early 2010- early 2012 (HDD failure)
HP Compaq DC7100
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.8 Ghz
GPU: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset
RAM: 512MB DDR SDRAM
HDD: 40GB
---------------------------------------------------------
2nd computer:
2012 only (had to return it because the build quality was really bad)
HP Pavilion p7-1418
CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6 Ghz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7450 1GB DDR3
RAM: 6GB DDR3
HDD: 1TB
3rd computer
mid 2014 - mid 2016 (upgraded to the next computer below)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6Ghz
GPU: Asus Nvidia Geforce GT 8600 256MB GDDR3 (2014 - early 2015, replaced with a gt 730)
RAM: 2GB DDR2
HDD: 160GB
4th computer
mid 2016 - present

CPU: Intel Core i3 6300 3.8 Ghz
GPU: Zotac Nvidia Geforce GT 730 2GB GDDR5 (2015 - late 2017, replaced with an amd rx 560)
RAM: 16GB DDR4
HDD: 1TB

I build a rig back in 2011 but I'm just on my Samsung S6 now.

My first lean was made with Niquil, second with actual promethazyne. brother came along way since then, I made it off the block. Now I drink vanilla extract

Is Unova the emachines of the blockland forums?
hey just because i'm slow, have an easily usable supply of memory and barely any storage that doesn't mean im the emachines of the blockland forums

blocklonders to your battlestations  :cookieMonster:

Here are my current PC's
- 2016 build (Core i5 6600k, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD, GTX 1060 6GB), has been serving me quite well over the past year and runs super smoothly. Runs Windows 10.
- 2004(?) IBM ThinkPad T42 (Pentium M, 512MB RAM upgraded to 2GB, 40GB HDD upgraded to 80GB, ATI Radeon Mobility 7500), I love this god damn thing. It's bulletproof. Bought it at a flea market about a week ago for 10 dollars and reinstalled Windows XP as the XP install on it was screwed up and blue screened. Just got a new HDD and some new RAM for it today, and now it's running a dual boot of Windows 7 and Xubuntu 17.10.

similar to verification I currently use a decade old emachine except it's one of these awful things:

model EL1352 if you really want to look it up.

it might've done nice things when my parents first got it but now the only good modern thing it still has going for it is that it runs.

I had a forgettable but decent laptop a few years ago but the battery on it died and we didn't have a replacement so it got stuck on the charger 24/7 and then the computer itself died and here we are today with the stuffty family emachine.

So, I'm well aware of what machines I owned. The real trouble is trying determine where they fit in the timeline, as it decides a lot of factors about my character. My laptop and gaming rig have concrete dates I took ownership, as one was a birthday present and one was my custom built rig. The issue is specifically relating to the three PCs I had growing up, as these were originally bought by my parents to do business stuff, and so I wasn't exactly informed (or caring) on purchase dates or exact models.

Tracking the models down was relatively easy, as I remember specifics that each model had which other models in the series didn't. Finding the dates has taken more work. What I've tried to do for each machine is discover evidence that can pin down either the before or after dates, therefore narrowing the exact year at the very least. Here is what I've found.

As a note; I've only included relevant CD-ROMs that can help place a date on these machines. I owned a LOT of budget CD-ROM games, but most of them were well after a new PC was acquired, so they can't really help in this case.

I've split this post into parts for character limit and time reasons.

Machine A: IBM Aptiva 2171 - Windows 98SE

This hunky old off-white bastard was my introduction to computing. My first experiences with it involved games like Fatty Bear, and I may have possibly even once or twice been allowed to access the internet from it (dial-up, of course). Placing a date on it was tough, because I don't quite remember it at my first or second houses. Here's what I gathered:

• The first thing I gathered was the release date of the 2171. According to IBM, that was at the tail end of 1998, with the major rollout in 1999.
  • I managed to find a manual burried in a container of all our old manuals for the HP Deskjet 680C printer which came with the machine. It had a release date of 1996.
  • I discovered that Windows 98SE was first released on June 25, 1998, and its first discontinue date was on January 16, 2004 (but was later pushed back to 2006).
  • Two old games that I would have most likely played on the Aptiva of which I still have discs for include Blue's Clues: Blue's Birthday Surprise (1998) and Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise (PC version released in 1995).
  • On the 13th February, 2002, an email was sent to an iPrimus account owned by my mother, which was printed out, and the print-out was discovered by me in a folder full of old files. The contents were of no consequence, but the interesting thing is the ISP; it was started up in 1997, and I personally don't remember being on iPrimus ever (the first ISP I remember we connected with was Unwired, a now defunct company).
  • In Year 3, 2003, I had to type out and print a report with a computer about a member of my family. This was a big deal as I had only ever used the computers for fun, and I believe this is why some version of Word was purchased and installed on a machine. I remember typing up the report in the back-room/office of the house, which would make me believe this is the Aptiva (since it lived in the office for most of its life until it was moved into my brother's bedroom in time).
  • An old CD-ROM for Microsoft Works v7 (the last version compatible with Windows 98) had its files dated at July 13, 2002, and the release was between 2002 and 2003. It contained a version of Microsoft Word 2002, and may prove it was the Aptiva I typed the report on.
  • Going through an old photo album, I managed to uncover a photo of my brother and me, quite young (pre-school) in the same room as the machine itself. While the timestamp on the photo appears to invalid (it was either taken by another camera, used another roll of film or developed at another location in comparison to all other photos), it is bundled into the 1998 section, and the appearances of my brother and I match the other nearby photos.

Based on what we know so far, the most likely year of acquisition is 1998.

Machine B: Dell Dimension 8400 - Windows XP Service Pack 2

The Windows 98SE was no doubt very important for the young child me, but as I moved into adolescence, the XP was where I would make my home. Most of my early modding adventures and budget game escapades happened on the XP, so it's a very important piece of tech to me. I was also the first machine I ever opened up and play with the internals of, and it was the first time I ever had free access to the internet (or, moreso than in the past). Firstly, here were the two critical pieces of info that basically gave me the exact year this machine came into ownership:

• If you take the Service Tag of a machine and input it into Dell's support website, you can get info about the machine's history. By putting mine in, I discovered that this computer was not bought from the store, but instead was ordered direct from Dell. The date the order commenced production (putting your custom configuration together) before shipping was July 23, 2004.
  • Every Dell machine has a number of stickers and internal prints that indicate important info about the machine. The MFG, or Manufacture Date, listed on my 8400 was July 24, 2004.

It hadn't occurred to me to check the MFG or the Service Tag until long after I had done other bits of research however, and here's all of that info I had gathered;

• Windows XP was first released in 2001.
  • One of my more technically-minded uncles had produced a clone of a Microsoft Office Pro 2003 disc for us, which required Windows 2000 or later. The files on the disc were all dated October 2nd, 2003.
  • The machine came with a Dell Photo All-In-One 922 printer. I found the manual for it, and the print year was 2004.
  • A special case and holographic disc for an official Windows Installer DVD for Service Pack 2 had its files burned on October 4, 2004. This appears to have been a custom order after acquisition of the PC.
  • The Dell E173FP Monitor and Dell Resource CD were both released in 2004.
  • Another photo in the albums had my brother and me in shot with both our PS2 Slim as well as this Dimension 8400. The photo's developing date says April 10, 2006. What's interesting is that the Dimension was still in the secondary living room, which is where it lived before it was moved into my brother's room to replace the Aptiva. A possible theory therefore is that the Aptiva was likely moved into my brother's room so my Mum could get her own space after my sister was old enough to score her own room, especially given there was no longer a need for my office.

Based on what we know so far, the year of acquisition is 2004.

COMING UP NEXT: The Vista Machine, The Consoles, The End Goal
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 07:52:12 PM by McJob »

This reply I made is going into history.

similar to verification I currently use a decade old emachine except it's one of these awful things:
i dont use that anymore i use an asus labtop now

this piece of stuff supported me for 5 years as i delved into the computer world

I don't remember what computer my family used growing, all I remember it was Windows XP for bit, then my dad updated windows 7.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:03:39 PM by cooolguy32 »