Author Topic: Can someone explain gamergate to me in the simplest way possible  (Read 3697 times)

During 2014 there was some controversy surrounding "gamergate" or something like that. I'm trying to research it and I just don't understand it at all, the FBI even have a file on gamergate. Can someone explain it to me in the easiest way possible?

Badspot

• Administrator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fnRSL3d_xU

Basically there was a series of corruption and collusion scandals in the video games press, and people wanted to talk about it (naturally).  The whole thing would have blown over in a week but there was a massive counter attack by the press where they labeled all of their opponents as misogynists and tribals.  Many games journalists dropped their spaghetti and revealed themselves as hacks that only got into their line of work to fight for social justice. 

It lingers today as part of the general culture war, with pro-gamergate valuing individual rights and a level playing field (gamers after all), and anti-gamergate valuing collective well-being and representation (also called 'equity' or equality of outcome). 

A bunch of journalists were loving each other and kept linking to stuff or writing favorable articles about things without disclosing their relationship with said stuff. Also people got tired of PC culture loving everything up and the media threw a stufffit. Same thing happened with metal and is happening with comics right now.

Gamergate was an identity politics catfight that started when someone's feelings were hurt that someone else didn't share the same feelings they had for the kind of soma they like indulging in.

asking question in this thread because it makes sense
can someone explain #pizzagate to me or somethn

asking question in this thread because it makes sense
can someone explain #pizzagate to me or somethn
4chan crazies convinced that a child love ring is being run out of the basement of a pizza parlor in dc by politicians based off handicapped evidence

Can someone explain to me what the forget is a gamerghazi

Can someone explain to me what the forget is a gamerghazi
probably a review thats like a kamikazi were they say
"I HATE [MY REVIEWING COMPANY HERE] AND THEY SHOULD loving DIE IN A HOLE"
more known on the forums as
forum Self Delete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fnRSL3d_xU

Basically there was a series of corruption and collusion scandals in the video games press, and people wanted to talk about it (naturally).  The whole thing would have blown over in a week but there was a massive counter attack by the press where they labeled all of their opponents as misogynists and tribals.  Many games journalists dropped their spaghetti and revealed themselves as hacks that only got into their line of work to fight for social justice.  

It lingers today as part of the general culture war, with pro-gamergate valuing individual rights and a level playing field (gamers after all), and anti-gamergate valuing collective well-being and representation (also called 'equity' or equality of outcome).  

imagine getting paid to tell people your opinion on new games and then you try to declare war on gamers after you get caught with subornation of perjury

ethics in gaming journalism

is the wikipedia article completely wrong on this then? it talks (with many citations) about how the majority of the accusations were incorrect in the first place, and that although it may not initially had been about social justice stuff, the targets for harassment and threats happened to all be female, and one target was known primarily for her criticism of loveism/loveuality in games

fake (game) news and unrelated sjw bullstuff

is the wikipedia article completely wrong on this then? it talks (with many citations) about how the majority of the accusations were incorrect in the first place, and that although it may not initially had been about social justice stuff, the targets for harassment and threats happened to all be female, and one target was known primarily for her criticism of loveism/loveuality in games

Yes it's completely wrong. There was an editing war and Wikipedia sided with the handicaps

Yes it's completely wrong. There was an editing war and Wikipedia sided with the handicaps
is there any comprehensive rebuttal anywhere? there's a lot of sources pointing to evidence that the thing was more about harassment than actual gaming journalism ethics.

if i'm sounding defensive of the article blame it on my libtard tendencies. i just want to see both sides of it, eg a counter article to wikipedia's stance if it exists.

one thing that is for certain though is badspot being right about it blowing over if it didnt get so much media attention. would have just been a one-time harassment case

is there any comprehensive rebuttal anywhere? there's a lot of sources pointing to evidence that the thing was more about harassment than actual gaming journalism ethics.

if i'm sounding defensive of the article blame it on my libtard tendencies. i just want to see both sides of it, eg a counter article to wikipedia's stance if it exists.

one thing that is for certain though is badspot being right about it blowing over if it didnt get so much media attention. would have just been a one-time harassment case

Yeah all those sources are the same sites that were being accused of corruption. Really makes you think.

As for sources. The original quinsperacy videos are what started this whole thing. And we had a gamergate megathread on the forums that detailed a bunch of stuff. If you look up "gamers are dead" articles youll more then likely find the articles that happened in response to people getting pissed off.

I'm on my phone right now so I can't get links and if I have to correct one more loving autocorrect mistake in going to shoot up the Samsung headquarters.