The Post Net Neutrality Bunker Thread | ITT: Tactical Nuke hates Freedom

Author Topic: The Post Net Neutrality Bunker Thread | ITT: Tactical Nuke hates Freedom  (Read 4898 times)

It's clear you don't have a grasp of what's going on, so your attempt to try and downplay it to make everyone look ridiculous is cringy at best.

my bad, I don't go on reddit enough, I'll shut up now

my bad, I don't go on reddit enough, I'll shut up now

That might've sounded witty in your head, but I'll be honest it's probably best if you actually stopped posting.

maybe if local governments didn’t make starting an isp impossibly expensive these monopolies wouldn’t be an issue

can someone give me an example of a company that didn't become a monopoly through government intervention

can someone give me an example of a company that didn't become a monopoly through government intervention
AT&T and the Hudsons Bay Company are both good examples of government intervention breaking up monopolies (Even if they've devolved back into oligopolies)

But in reality what you're asking is "does regulation work to prevent monopolies." The answer is yes. As an example, the FCC has had a rule on single companies not being able to share a TV station along with a radio station or newspaper "in the same market" (for example, in the same city). This is to prevent monopolies (local or otherwise) from forming. And it's worked.

As an example, the Sinclair Media Group already has a massive hold on local TV stations. Up until now, they've been limited from doing a merger by this exact 40-year-standing FCC regulation. However, now that this regulation has been removed by the FCC, this merger with Tribune Media will allow Sinclair Media Group to reach a monstrous and near-monopoly 72% of american households. Once it goes through, they'll be at near-monopoly status with nothing to stop them anymore.

And media centralization (something that conservatives are very worried about if i remember correctly) is just the most recent example I can think of. Yeah, regulation does prevent monopolies, but even without that, that's not nearly what regulations are limited to. They regulate general anti-competitive practices, help make sure that the free market is upheld (with notable exceptions, corporate lobbying efforts have helped make market entry a near insurmountable cost in many areas), make sure constitutional rights are upheld, and much more.

If your post was to imply that "it's just more red tape," that's really not a valid criticism. Net Neutrality helps uphold fair competition, prevents service provider suppression of free speech on the internet, stops providers from extorting competitors for money, and upholds pro-consumer values that are important to all citizens.

idk if you want that only but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Oil

perhaps the most famous example because it destroyed a monopoly and it worked

the virgin gates and the chad rockefeller

https://www.fcc.gov/about/contact

Here are the FCC members and their contact info.
From the FCC themselves.

really helps your guys' case to start making ajit pai out to be the literal antichrist

it's maybe why no one in the FCC is taking this seriously

The only thing, and I mean the ONLY THING Besides murder, don't do it pls is to vote in people who believe in the value of Net Nuetrality.

Phoning, writing, and faxing your representatives doesn't do stuff if they don't give a forget about your opinion.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:00:54 PM by bejacks »

Besides murder, don't do it pls
Seriously, DON'T DO THIS.
If any one is seriously thinking about doing this, don't.
You will make a bad situation worse.
You'll make them a martyr and by extension their argument.
DO NOT DO THIS.

I'm sure someone here was considering murder.

I'm sure someone here was considering murder.

the "ajit pai is a cunt megathread" and several people remarking that he has a puncheable face does not help your case here

face punchability has little to do with your actions, and is just a simple fact, it could happen to anyone