Author Topic: [SOLVED] Mounted particles not functioning properly?  (Read 1248 times)

I've been asking the BCC discord for help with this, but no one there seems to know what's going on, so i'm hoping people here who may not be in the discord are able to offer any helpful suggestions on the matter

I have these two weapons that mount one or two blank images on them for additional particles, and one weapon, which is an energy sword, has working particles, but they emit in a completely straight line as if thetaMax is set to 0 in the emitter data, but it's set to 0.5, which is a high enough value to cause the emitted particles to noticeably vibrate, but it just goes in a straight line instead, oddly enough, entering 'emitterName.thetaMax = 0.5;' makes it appear as it should even though that's already it's current value

The other weapon, which is a gravity hammer, the particles don't appear at all, the two images used to emit the particles exist on the weapon, but not the particles that should be emitting from them, and once again, an odd way of """fixing""" this one is to execute it's CS file, then they appear and emit as they should

What's odd is that the gravity hammer actually has particles attached to the main weapon image and they work perfectly, it's just the other particle that's used by the two mounted images that doesn't work

I put the particles on a 1x1 brick and they behaved exactly as they did on the weapons, emitting in a straight line, and not appearing at all until i executed the CS file, so it's definitely not a problem with the mounted images and having particles attached to them, i even tried them in a clean installation of v20 and it was the same thing there as well

Here are the particles for reference
Energy sword particle that emits in a straight line, gravity hammer particle that doesn't appear until executed
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:10:00 PM by Masterlegodude »

Emitting particles from images other than the primary slot0 image has always been pretty sketchy whenever I've tried to make use of them, especially when trying to emit them from a slot1 image. You could try mounting the secondary image to slot2 or slot3 maybe. That's all I can think, based on my limited knowledge of the topic. Sorry I can't help more :(

As for the thetaMax value issue, all I can think is to try setting it to 1 or something. I know that will potentially ruin the way the emitter looks, but if it sticks then that might be your best bet.

try an integer value for the theta max. 1 would be good. note the value is measured in degrees so 1 degree is still very little

An interesting thing to test would be why it doesn't accept 0.5, and what it does with that value.
Sounds like it's either cutting off the decimal, or it's rounding the number (although you'd think it would round up if that were the case, so mostly like it only takes integers)

Alright, solved both of the problems

Setting thetaMax to 1 worked, so i guess it does round the value down to just the ones, tens, and hundredths, even though decimal values clearly work

As for my gravity hammer's jet particle, this may also be a rounding out the number thing, but setting the value to 0.1 from 0.062 (and 0.06 even) got it working, even though once again, more than one decimal DOES work

So the lesson we've learned here is that Torque is a richard to decimals

Happy to see you got things working!
I do wish torque didn't have such annoying and random quirks though :(