Author Topic: Add-on Loading Stuck in Loop on Startup  (Read 703 times)

This happens from time-to-time when I install new add-ons. When I start the game up, the game will keep loading the same add-ons over and over. Sometimes it's just one add-on. Other times it's multiple add-ons.

The frustrating part about this is that it appears to be somewhat random which add-ons seem to cause the problem. Typically, I will keep deleting non-default add-ons until the game loads. Typically I will narrow the problem down to a single add-on that triggers the loop, or two add-ons that appear to trigger the loop when present together. However, if I then delete my add-ons folder, load a fresh set of just default add-ons, and place the one trouble add-on or pair of trouble add-ons, the problem won't arise again. Hence, it's difficult to replicate this problem--not without dumping an entire add-ons folder, which I'd rather not do.

My usual solution is to delete my add-ons folder, get a fresh one, and add add-ons back in until add-on loading gets stuck in a loop again. Then, I'll find which add-on(s) cause the problem (sometimes a different add-on or set of add-ons altogether), and just exclude it/them if I don't find it/them to be necessary. This is a very tedious solution, though, and not really ideal/satisfying.

I mostly want to know if anyone else has experienced this problem before. If so, what caused it for you (if you were able to figure it out)?

It likely is a certain combination of addons. If you encounter the issue again, can you post a full list of addons and try running a trace during startup?

It likely is a certain combination of addons. If you encounter the issue again, can you post a full list of addons and try running a trace during startup?
Will do.

<hr>

UPDATE: Apparently, the issue seems to often be triggered by add-ons that include keybinds. Not sure why I didn't notice this pattern before. I have several custom add-ons that include keybinds. So perhaps I'm just doing keybinds incorrectly? I usually just include this at the top of my script:
Code: [Select]
$remapDivision[$remapCount] = "Test Division";
$remapName[$remapCount] = "Test Keybind";
$remapCmd[$remapCount] = "TEST_callback";
$remapCount++;

I should note, too, that while removing all my add-ons with keybinds typically alleviates the problem, sometimes removing another add-on that is not mine and does not include keybinds triggers the problem too.

Perhaps the fact that I'm using Linux and running Blockland through Wine is also pertinent. Next time I encounter this problem, I will try to replicate it on Windows.

Another user has informed me that one of my add-ons was causing their game to not startup. This confirms my suspicion that I'm creating keybinds incorrectly. I'm migrating to Modification Help. I'll keep this thread unlocked for now, just in case I've incorrectly narrowed down the problem.