how do i make my mic sound bad?

Author Topic: how do i make my mic sound bad?  (Read 1363 times)

instead of trying to make my mic sound better, i want to do the opposite and make it sound like stuff. it's for a video me and a few friends are working on. i need the mic to sound like distorted garbage and with recognizable clipping. any help is appreciated.

Turn the gain way up, that will make everything clip. if your mic has no gain knob, after you have recorded open the sound clips in audacity and use the leveller tool to hard-level everything. this will cause clipping too. make sure to normalize so it's all nice and loud.

set the project/sample rate to something awful like 16000hz
if you apply a low pass filter it'll have a stuffty deep sound, likewise if you apple a high pass filter it'll sound tinny
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:31:21 PM by Steve5451² »

Put some aluminium foil over your mic

instead of trying to make my mic sound better, i want to do the opposite and make it sound like stuff. it's for a video me and a few friends are working on. i need the mic to sound like distorted garbage and with recognizable clipping. any help is appreciated.
Put it directly infront/inside your mouth as you talk.

An easy way in Audacity to make it sound bad would be to:
1. Choose 'Noise Reduction'
2. Get the noise profile of the entire clip
3. When choosing settings, make sure
- 'Noise Reduction' is at max (48db)
- Sensitivity is at a custom 0.10 (you'll have to put that in yourself since the slider only goes to 0.50)
- Frequency bands is at 12
- Set to 'Reduce' and not "Residue'
After that, the mic should sound realistically stuff, but we're not there yet.
4. Go into 'Equalizer' and down to the 'Curves' dropdown. Select 'Bass Cut' and then 'OK'
5. Lastly, use Amplify to get the volume back up if it turns out to be too quiet.

Doesn't remove quality (via things like setting the project rate all the way down) and sounds realistically stuff.

If you're going for obnoxious stuff quality, you could just use some distortion filter.

record next to a freeway

if you wanna add an extra level of terrible, try to speak in russian at random times

Doesn't remove quality (via things like setting the project rate all the way down) and sounds realistically stuff.
Though if you do want to sound like a Half Life character, i would recommend using 11025 as your project rate and pasting your audio into a new mono audio track

Deepthroat it, or use it outside on a windy day

have a desk fan on high next to it