stupid question: is it possible to convert coax to hdmi?

Author Topic: stupid question: is it possible to convert coax to hdmi?  (Read 1503 times)

i can either spend $10 more a month for a cable box that has an hdmi out or i could spend $10 less and have stuffty quality coax.

is it possible to convert the coax signal to hdmi via some sort of adapter?

pretty sure it's not worth it. if you want HD, just get the HD box. otherwise, i don't think there's much a point in bothering with digital conversion, even if you could, unless you absolutely have to in order to get a signal to your TV. simply converting to a digital HDMI signal isn't going to make your video better to look at

a brief search only turned up devices to go the from digital to brown townog tho, not the other way around, since i figure most TVs still have coax input. if the problem is that your TV doesn't i imagine there's gotta be somethin out there but i didn't find it within 5 minutes
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:45:21 PM by otto-san »

stream over the internet
i got hdmi going to my tv and dont need a stuffty cable service

stream over the internet
i got hdmi going to my tv and dont need a stuffty cable service

how exactly? i have netflix but that doesn't permit me to watch channels that i like.

there are adapters but they are like 100$ or something since they have to be powered to convert brown townog > digital

what is the source of your tv channels?
coax isnt stuffty at all if set up properly

how exactly? i have netflix but that doesn't permit me to watch channels that i like.
ive always been able to find any show i want to see somewhere online

what is the source of your tv channels?
coax isnt stuffty at all if set up properly

what do you mean? coax cable line goes into a cable box then outputted through coax to my tv.

ive always been able to find any show i want to see somewhere online

isn't that like illegal?

isn't that like illegal?

Depends what you want. If your like me then no since I mostly just watch youtube.

what do you mean? coax cable line goes into a cable box then outputted through coax to my tv.
switching from a coax>coax setup to coax>hdmi won't improve the quality at all because cable providers compress it anyway
unless that extra $10 a month also provides HD that you don't currently have, then it would improve, but trying to find a loophole to get free hd won't work

If you're just getting one of those converter boxes your tv is already doing the same thing and it won't make any difference in the picture quality really.

If you're just getting one of those converter boxes your tv is already doing the same thing and it won't make any difference in the picture quality really.

i used to have a little hd cable box that only allowed basic cable.

i used to have a little hd cable box that only allowed basic cable.
from where?

from where?

as in from which company? it's a local company; no big name

as in from which company? it's a local company; no big name
most likely it was providing network tv, which you can get with an antenna