[SKETCHUP] ignore the above thread; use sketchup

Author Topic: [SKETCHUP] ignore the above thread; use sketchup  (Read 1359 times)

ignore the above thread; use sketchup
sketchup is a modeling program like blender or milkshape 3d. rather than creating primitives and extruding into the shapes to create models, sketchup allows you to literally sketch a 2d image of your model and turn it into 3d within seconds*minutes. sketchup is easy to use, great for beginners and pros alike and is perfect for the low-poly style of games like blockland. while other programs like blender and 3ds max are intimidating for young minds and people new to 3d modeling, sketchup is a safe space to learn the basics of 3d rendering with ease and grace. there are many blocklanders who use sketchup to design various weapons and models for add-on usage and prefer it to programs such as blender.

so i created this thread to help people new to 3d modeling to have a place to ease into the 3d scene

window

as you can see in the image above, sketchup has a very uncluttered and easy to use window, with various helpful tools. this interface is easy on the eyes, easy to navigate through and work with.

the toolbar is customizable, and sketchup offers many cool tools to help you on your modeling journey, including 3d text, animating tools, coloring palettes and more. you can essentially download more tools if you want as well

i've been modeling in sketchup for 5 years, made over 700 different models, and i've done it all with these few tools. each tool is super versatile and offers hundreds of different uses.

pros & cons
PROS:
- easy to use, set up and work in
- quick, modeling in sketchup takes like 20 minutes less than in blender or milkshape
- free (sketchup make 2017)
- customizable
- exports to .dae which can later be imported to blender
- great for low poly models, perfect for guns, vehicles, playertypes, hats and bricks

CONS:
- poor/lacking animation abilities
- bad for high polygon and highly detailed models
- exporter is kinda old and creates extra stuff
- not complex enough for professional modeling

gallery
here are some images that showcase work that i've done in sketchup. obviously i've had a lot of experience and much of what i make has about 4 years of experience behind it, but all of it is perfectly possible to learn and with enough practice, making things will become second nature.

walkthrough-ish
here is a video of me making a basic weapon in 25 minutes. there's no audio but it shows how each of the tools are used and the general process for creating anything is. watch it at your own pace, and take notes- all of it will be on tomorrow's test!

(click to watch)

how to export from sketchup to blender and milkshape

download sketchup (make sure you download sketchup make 2017)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:22:46 PM by PhantOS »

um are you trolling or serious can't even tell

sketchup loving sucks though

blender is completely free and so much better in every way

i wouldnt count time as a pro cause once you get the hang of blender you can make good stuff fast if you got the visualization down. most of the time is spent tweaking and figuring out what to do next. since you start from a sketch in sketchup, that time doesnt really get counted as modeling

i wouldnt count time as a pro cause once you get the hang of blender you can make good stuff fast if you got the visualization down. most of the time is spent tweaking and figuring out what to do next. since you start from a sketch in sketchup, that time doesnt really get counted as modeling
i was just saying that it really speeds up the entire process of developing a model, from start to finish, which i find it does more so than blender. also a lot of people are discouraged from modeling because blender has a hard ass learning curve and isn't as intuitive as sketchup. i made this thread mostly for edd and other people who are like "ive never modeled anything before; how can i"

ignore this thread; use blender

where's pandan and zloff when you need them?