Thoughts on Crown's CityRPG?

Author Topic: Thoughts on Crown's CityRPG?  (Read 5689 times)

I played it for a bit. I thought it would be somewhat of a big deal, crown hosting something else. But I couldn't really find any blockland forum topic about it. I wanted to discuss it a bit, and bring up some of my criticisms. I did a bit of this ingame already, though i was kind of talking to just myself and it was in an aggressive tone admittedly. I don't know if crown was planning on making a topic already, but here goes. I may lock this in the future if it's deemed unnecessary.

I wont express my opinions on the server in the OP here, because I don't want to make the posts lean towards one topic or another. I'll make a post later with my criticisms and opinions.

So, try playing a bit of it. Post about how you feel about the server, any opinions/criticisms, etc.

There are no drugs otherwise it's okay

reuse of a 2015 map
not much work.

It's not fun at the start, you have to grind more than you do in an average City RPG and it's stuff, after that I'm not sure because I just left, I'm planning to try it when I get the will to do so though.

OK, let's start:
  • Lazy edit of iBan's CityRPG, with some aspects being worse
  • You have to pay in-game money in order to use "brick packs", and the highest brick pack you can get is 2000 bricks for $2000 in-game money
  • Auto-jailing system instead of actually fixing how the law works in it
  • Brick limit that can only be bypassed by paying $10 in real life money for VIP
  • No "plantable" detection so if you accidentally press the brick plant key in mid-air or in an overlap you've wasted one of your bricks
  • Grinding with trees/ores still the only real way to make money, but time grinding increased x2 because of brick packs and each ore is $1 in-game money
  • Even slower grinding on top of the fact that every ore except one require "levels"
  • "Job EXP" added on top of the education system, which is a time-wasting pile of stuff
  • Unnecessary forced-to-install GUI that replaces the commands already in the game
The fact that a server hoster like Crown can actually get away with this stuff is why people always say "Blockland is dying". Because when you turn a gamemode that's more than half a decade old into a cashcow, or you make a bunch of fun gamemodes but only host them once in a blue moon and keep them private, that is what makes people leave.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 02:17:39 PM by d »

It was made in 2015, just being hosted over the holidays for a lil nostalgia trip.
that's it.

the donation tab is in there but i don't even think crown is taking donations for the server lol edit: retracted, it's now hooked up to his current existing VIP stuff, so anyone from jailbreak has vip on it
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:09:09 PM by skill4life »

It was made in 2015, just being hosted over the holidays for a lil nostalgia trip.
that's it.

the donation tab is in there but i don't even think crown is taking donations for the server lol
If it is supposed to be nostalgia Crøwn should have just hosted iBan's original CityRPG, not this dumpster fire.

not this dumpster fire.
oof that edit

I think you're wrong about the grinding part tho, I got grocer and haven't touched an axe since. the income has been more than enough to buy education/brick packs over the course of two days.

If it is supposed to be nostalgia Crøwn should have just hosted iBan's original CityRPG, not this dumpster fire.
Why should I? This is what was hosted years ago, I didn't touch the code. I just put it up due to a few people requesting it, and they're enjoying it. I'm not trying to revolutionize CityRPGs here. It's still the same flawed gamemode we all love and know.

Why should I? This is what was hosted years ago, I didn't touch the code. I just put it up due to a few people requesting it, and they're enjoying it. I'm not trying to revolutionize CityRPGs here. It's still the same flawed gamemode we all love and know.

*le humble brag*

at least it has good admins

Okay here we go.

The bad

1. VIP stuff
(most of this doesnt really apply to crown, this is more so me being disgusted by the original editor of the gamemode)

Apparently they have VIP disabled currently, but the fact that there is an entry for it in the gui is just appalling. I REFUSE to call this a donation, because you're actually purchasing the ability to do more things. Would you call Roblox's Builder's Club a donation?

I had a bit here about DetailTrees, but I realized it wasn't really deserved since I don't know if the original editor of the gamemode had DetailTrees, or if VIP was enabled when DetailTrees was enabled. I've reduced it down to small font in case you're curious.
It's a little sickening that this server also contains the DetailTrees add-on, a compilation of stolen tree bricks from ModTer Decal Pack and Elm's Trees. Ironic that I'm the same person who has compiled said pack, one of my biggest regrets related to this game.

2. Gui is unnecessary
Commands that were in the gamemode were actually removed in favor of a forced gui add-on that is cumbersome to use and will never ever be used again once this server stops being hosted. No effort was made to give people who aren't using the gui at least a few abilities, even ones that you can do in the stock standard unedited Iban CityRPG.

You can't give people money without the gui. You cant use banks without the gui. You can't get a job without the gui. And this list goes on.

A lot of this info can easily be expressed in a bottom print. In fact, it's even in the same place the bottom print is located!

3. More grinding
The gamemode features some sort of mining experience points and levels. It also adds more ores. You can't mine some of these ores until you've reached a certain level.

At level 1, you're stuck with mining iron. 1 iron will only net you $1. This gets a lot more annoying when actually getting the ore seems to be pure RNG. I spent a few minutes mining the first time I played on this server, and I only got around 45 iron ores.

Also, these prices are pretty extreme. Though, I never attempted to do these so maybe they're just a one time thing?

This grinding gets a lot more problematic with the...

4. Unnecessary restrictions
This edit of Iban's CityRPG has introduced a compelling new restriction that you need to pay to lift, Brick Packs.

That's right, you now need to grind more in order to gain the privilege of building a few hundred bricks.

Let's recap, shall we? Basic early game goals of CityRPG with this edit is now:
- $250 - Gain an education level through the gui, and wait a bit for the variable to be set.
- $100 - Get the Criminal job, which requires only 1 education and has the least amount of initial investment required for 1 education level jobs.
- $250 - Build a 16x16 lot, the smallest and cheapest one available.
- $750 - Being able to build 500 more bricks.
That totals up to $1350!!!

But that's not the end of it:

What!?
I'm now penalized for having my money go into the safest place to have it in? Also, before I forget to mention, suiciding or dying from starvation will now make you drop your money. So now it's even more dangerous to have money on your person.

I feel like the editor of the gamemode here just, you know, hates it when players have fun? They're trying very hard to trap the player into schemes like this. Why? This doesn't "enhance" the gameplay or make it more interesting. This is just another line of code someone threw in the function that adds the paycheck to the player because they were bored and thought it was cool. Why was this edit designed this way? This isn't even how real banks work, this was just added to the gamemode to forget with the players.

On an unrelated note, it's weird that guns are still cheap as hell. Why wasn't anything about this changed, when you make it hard for people to actually do what the loving point of the game is. Blockland is that game where you build stuff. Except I need to rack up $750 somehow. Oh! I'll just buy a gun for around $50 and shoot people in the face. Look at that! They dropped their paychecks that they got because they didn't want it to go directly to the bank because of the 10% deduction. Brilliant game design Nicalis uh, I mean gamemode editor!

5. Minor bugs
The entire build is composed of public bricks, so people can actually build their lots on top of roads, or inside of the roads, because the center of the roads are actually made up of ModTer. This isn't that big of a deal though, and I've actually showed the admins (skill4life and crown) this issue and I expect they'll have it resolved soon.

The pickaxe and axe don't animate in first person view. This is a small nitpick though, but you'd expect the editor to at least make some attempt to fix this.

6. It's still CityRPG
A lot of the fundamental flaws with the original gamemode haven't really been dealt with, or were even made worse.
- It's hella expensive to even start building. Or alternatively, you start with such a low amount of money.
- Pointless taxes that do nothing in the overall gamemode.
- Crazy high initial investments for jobs.
- You do nothing all day and get payed. The main goal is to get the job that pays the highest amount for doing nothing.
- Pointless reincarnation system, meant to work around an arbitrarily set maximum education level.
- Paying off demerits. You can get away with a lot of stuff if you have money. I can understand bribery, but seriously. Why not make it a temporary pay-off?
- Breaking a lot doesn't give you the money back.
- No indication for what time it is in the day. There is a daycycle, but I'm not sure it lines up with the actual day.
- Hunger system that only serves to be an annoyance.
- Pointless messages for when you type a chat message in all caps, among other things. I don't think typing in all caps is that much of a big deal these days.
- You need to start a build using a pack of duplicated baseplates called lot bricks. Why not just have it so when you place a baseplate on the ground then that's the lot?
- Countless other problems.

The good(?)

- The hud is kinda pretty. Not worth a client mod being forced on me, though.
- Being able to donate money directly to a set player instead of whoever you're looking at is a big big big plus.
- Admins aren't abusive, which contrasts many other CityRPGs.
- I like the idea of different types of ores and logs and picks, but it wasn't executed very well.
- /stuck is a godsend, and strangely, is a command and not a button in the forced gui.

Bonus material
(replies to posts since i started typing this)

that's it.

the donation tab is in there but i don't even think crown is taking donations for the server lol
Hosting the original Iban CityRPG would have been better in my opinion, people probably feel more "nostalgic" over the original unedited gamemode. This gamemode here makes many unnecessary changes to an already flawed gamemode in an effort to artificially inflate game time by making things more grindy, and restricting more things through a paywall. (i don't mean the real money, vip probably is disabled and i never clicked the link because i was already disinterested in the vip thing) This gamemode was clearly edited with the goal to inflate the playerbase with the least amount of effort possible, and to make money in the process. (this doesnt apply to crown, this mostly applies to the original editor of the gamemode)

oof that edit

I think you're wrong about the grinding part tho, I got grocer and haven't touched an axe since. the income has been more than enough to buy education/brick packs over the course of two days.
How many days did it take you to reach grocer? You need $250 for the education plus $200 just to become the job. I imagine you slaved pretty hard with that axe.

They're enjoying it because this is a typical thing people play on blockland, not to mention it's hosted by the great Crown, the guy who hosts Jailbreak. You of all people should know that CityRPGs are pretty oversaturated and you're guaranteed to get people playing. i tried so hard not to unironically say normies. whoops i just said that...

However, while all is said and done, it's your server. I may find that it's more flawed than even Iban's CityRPG, though you can choose to ignore all my criticisms.

I have no choice but to agree with this. Admittedly I gave them a bit of stuff when I was exploring the gamemode and they simply brushed it off. No retaliation, any responses to my messages were very calm and didn't really take it too seriously.

edit 1: added a few more bits to "6. it's still cityrpg" section
edit 2: added another bit to that same section
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 05:49:03 PM by Crispy_ »

I'm not admin on it for some reason, so no it doesn't :(

I'm not admin on it for some reason, so no it doesn't :(
wtf i love crowns crpg now