Virtually every bit of computer security has been uncovered as broken

Author Topic: Virtually every bit of computer security has been uncovered as broken  (Read 7517 times)

the new title is a bit click-baity

i mean, it's simply not true that "every bit of computer security is broken"
what is true is that "almost all computers are vulnerable to a new processor exploit"

edit: also, from what i can tell, this is a much bigger problem for businesses and servers than for consumers
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:48:33 PM by TristanLuigi »

the new title is a bit click-baity

i mean, it's simply not true that "every bit of computer security is broken"
what is true is that "almost all computers are vulnerable to a new processor exploit"

edit: also, from what i can tell, this is a much bigger problem for businesses and servers than for consumers
any vulnerability is always a much bigger problem for businesses..

this some dumb stuff tho why people gotta do this dumb stuff

https://www.vusec.net/projects/flip-feng-shui/
Relevant (while it isn’t this exact bug, it’s also another severe issue w Intel CPUs, Rowhammer..)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:41:11 PM by Metario »

aaagagagagagaagagag i got a hp

Okay, so there are two bugs here: Meltdown and Spectre. (Awesome names, right?)

Meltdown is the intel-only exploit. It allows any running process to access the memory of anything on the computer. It will basically own your entire computer and make it impossible to do anything securely. This one will have a 17-30% performance hit to fix until new hardware that isn't vulnerable comes out. OS developers likely won't wait for you to upgrade.

Spectre is a completely different bug, which affects processors of all types (Intel, AMD, ARM). It's basically a much weaker, much harder-to-exploit version of Meltdown. Basically it only allows you to access the memory of certain other types of applications, and while it is very serious and harder to patch, there's a chance that patching this won't require new hardware and won't require any performance drop.

So basically, everyone's forgeted, but Intel is especially forgeted.

Time to go back to PowerPC guys

wrap your cpu in tin foil to stop these HACKERS

Time to go back to PowerPC guys
We're all taking a RISC here by using x86/AMD64...