Author Topic: LockPick Mod (v0.01) [Revised]  (Read 2492 times)

Original Topic

After requesting once, I finally decided to make it myself.
It is just Tezuni's Lockpick Mod that Fires a event.
I tried to make it a LOT more complicated and realistic, but finally gave up. Hopefully, Ill fix the lockpick code later.
It plays a little fancy sound on hit. It takes a rather slow recharge time too.
NOTE: This no longer works with JVS, It has a event
<Pic at original Topic>
It adds, 1 input  event:

OnLockPickHit

Credits
Tezuni (original code.)

Download
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:21:29 PM by soldier101@ »

Does it work with the default doors though?

so is this like actually working or
did you even get permission to do this?

permission shirmission. As long as it works whoever made it isn't in question anymore once they give it out.

permission shirmission. As long as it works whoever made it isn't in question anymore once they give it out.
I agree, and as far as working with doors, you have to test it. I have not. This took me a little time to write. Im sure it works with doors. If it doesn't, I gotta update it.

EDIT: I tested it, It works with bricks. And As far as I know, it Should work with Doors.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:32:24 PM by soldier101@ »

I got several points to address about the quality and functionality of this mod.

First off, you could have easily added this event without having to modifying the current mod. This is also bad manners that you didn't ask for permission to modify the code. Altering by adding functionality through packaging is fine, but this is basically theft.

Secondly, I do not see any lock picking, but just an event that is called. Is this the intention of the item? Because if it is, it could only be used for certain game modes where the host tells which doors that can be picked.

Finally, it was a long time ago since I read the code the last time, so I'm not sure of the quality of it, but the current state of quality is horrible. You are inconsistent with the use of spaces and tabs; The indentation is off on several lines; There is also some minor performance issues as you are calling getMinigameFromObject twice in certain occasions.

I cannot speak for Tezuni, but I can see that my code is not even there, so having me credited in the description.txt is not even needed. Also, why give it version v0.01 when you claim in the file that it is v3?

I would recommend that you follow my advise to only keep the packaged method as that is basically what you really are out for. This results you to claim the ownership on the mod completely and can remove both me and Tezuni from credits. Keep in mind that you need to rename the mod, though, as the functionality is not a tool anymore, ie: Event_OnLockPickHit.

I got several points to address about the quality and functionality of this mod.

First off, you could have easily added this event without having to modifying the current mod. This is also bad manners that you didn't ask for permission to modify the code. Altering by adding functionality through packaging is fine, but this is basically theft.

Secondly, I do not see any lock picking, but just an event that is called. Is this the intention of the item? Because if it is, it could only be used for certain game modes where the host tells which doors that can be picked.

Finally, it was a long time ago since I read the code the last time, so I'm not sure of the quality of it, but the current state of quality is horrible. You are inconsistent with the use of spaces and tabs; The indentation is off on several lines; There is also some minor performance issues as you are calling getMinigameFromObject twice in certain occasions.

I cannot speak for Tezuni, but I can see that my code is not even there, so having me credited in the description.txt is not even needed. Also, why give it version v0.01 when you claim in the file that it is v3?

I would recommend that you follow my advise to only keep the packaged method as that is basically what you really are out for. This results you to claim the ownership on the mod completely and can remove both me and Tezuni from credits. Keep in mind that you need to rename the mod, though, as the functionality is not a tool anymore, ie: Event_OnLockPickHit.
It was v0.0.1 of the event, was it not? also, thank you for your input, Ill probably rename it and stuff tomorrow. For now, I guess ill lock the thread till I fix it. And yes, you where in tezunis credits desc. not me, I didn't put you there, he did. And yes, awhile back I asked him but it was the wrong account.