The Isle

Author Topic: The Isle  (Read 3011 times)

The Isle, based on the game of the same name, is an open world survival and progression experience, with Dinosaurs. Upon joining, players have the option of being either a Herbivore or Carnivore, and are given a base creature. From there, they will level up and collect EP, unlock better dinosaurs, and work on quests and explore the vast Island, trying to survive.

While I am still working on this project, I held off posting until I had enough to show. Current features include:

• Progression System: Level, Evolution Points (EP), unlocking better creatures and working on quests. Hope to eventually include the formation of herds/packs among players.
  • Special Abilities: Abilities for different creatures produces different play styles for every dinosaur.
  • Vast Map: Plenty of unique areas and distinguishable zones to hide, hunt, and prosper in.
  • Dynamic Ecosystem: From NPCs walking through the map and never staying in the same spot, to geysers and a volcano erupting, the landscape is constantly changing and providing something to do.
  • Server Events: Going along with the ecosystem, server events such as herd migrations or rogue dinosaurs terrorizing the landscape will make every experience different and exciting for players.

Suggestions for new features and aspects of the game are greatly appreciated. Constructive criticism is also welcomed. Thank you.

why are u using progression instead of survival tho

Oh hey my mutant lizard model. Nice to see that being used somewhere.
I'm looking forward to giving this server a try once you have it up.

Wanted to have something you'd work up to getting, not just maintaining some hunger stat. There are still some survival aspects in that you interact with the wildlife, can only heal at carcasses for Carnivores, etc...

Another thing was I figured everyone would only go for the biggest and coolest dinosaur provided you didn't have to work up to it.

Oh hey my mutant lizard model. Nice to see that being used somewhere.
I'm looking forward to giving this server a try once you have it up.
Thanks! It's a lovely model :)

this looks interesting

where is my corythosaurus

Wanted to have something you'd work up to getting, not just maintaining some hunger stat. There are still some survival aspects in that you interact with the wildlife, can only heal at carcasses for Carnivores, etc...
Another thing was I figured everyone would only go for the biggest and coolest dinosaur provided you didn't have to work up to it.
in the isle's survival gamemode u still have to work up to the big bois tho because no matter what you start out as a juvenile of whatever dino u chose

the major problem with progression was that in order to get to dinosaur Z, you had to first go through dinosaurs X and Y, even if you thought they were boring. For example to get to allosaurus, a medium-sized average speed therapod that focused on ambushing prey and letting it bleed out after a few bites, you had to first play through:

Velociraptor - a tiny almost useless scavenger (1 hour)
austroraptor - a human-sized raptor that hunts mainly in packs and can pounce on things (300 min)
utahraptor - austroraptor but bigger and better, and faster and relies on great speed to run down smaller prey (360 min)
FINALLY at allosaurus - has nothing in common with the dinosaurs you played to unlock it and is simply bigger

imagine having to play as scout, engineer, spy, or whatever before getting to play as heavy. Forcing players to play with things that offer completely different play-styles than what whey were going for is bad design.

In Survival however, you can permanently unlock ANY playable dinosaur and spawn as it whenever you like, but the catch is that you start out as a juvenile and have to grow up. But they still play the same was as the adult version does, so the player still gets to play the way they want to mostly (some juveniles are a little different, but not too many)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:37:56 PM by Blockomaniac »

this looks interesting
Thanks!
where is my corythosaurus
Wish we had more models :(
in the isle's survival gamemode u still have to work up to the big bois tho because no matter what you start out as a juvenile of whatever dino u chose

the major problem with progression was that in order to get to dinosaur Z, you had to first go through dinosaurs X and Y, even if you thought they were boring. For example to get to allosaurus, a medium-sized average speed therapod that focused on ambushing prey and letting it bleed out after a few bites, you had to first play through:

imagine having to play as scout, engineer, spy, or whatever before getting to play as heavy. Forcing players to play with things that offer completely different play-styles than what whey were going for is bad design.

In Survival however, you can permanently unlock ANY playable dinosaur and spawn as it whenever you like, but the catch is that you start out as a juvenile and have to grow up. But they still play the same was as the adult version does, so the player still gets to play the way they want to mostly (some juveniles are a little different, but not too many)

Can understand where you're coming from; the idea of age and sizes is also a neat one that I'd like to implement.

The problem in survival is there is no goal. You are maintaining a stat while waiting for ticks so you get bigger. That's it. Once you are of a certain size there's really no reason to continue on. Sure, you could bully the smaller dudes but then what?

The TF2 comparison isn't really a fair one. TF2 is pureposefully balanced and the classes are unique; of course it doesn't make sense to require players to play through one to get to another. This is a little different here, as while there are different play styles among the dinos, they're purposefully not balanced. A compy or raptor will never beat a trex. People won't play the compy or raptor if the trex is free. That's actual bad design.

Progression adds the goal survival lacks. You want to become the trex or the triceratops. You'll work for it. You may or may not enjoy the journey to the top, but that's life.

OT:
Am in need of suggestions for random occurrences in the game. Think like the volcano smoking and erupting or the tides changing. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 02:07:53 PM by Blockhead31735 »

Progression has the same issue of "I'm big so now what" though, you get to the end of the progression tree and go "now what"

furry rp but its actually acceptable wtf

gj I'm hyped

Because survival is done to death and the lowest common denominator.

Because survival is done to death and the lowest common denominator.
wat