Oklahoma Teacher Strike

Author Topic: Oklahoma Teacher Strike  (Read 1856 times)

The Oklahoma Teacher's Union is organizing an indefinite strike on April 2nd in which teachers will not return to work until public education spending is increased. As someone who has personally watched this state's education dissolve into garbage despite going to some of the nicest schools in the state, I'm really proud of their actions.

Write-up I posted on Reddit:
Oklahoma teachers are paid almost twenty thousand dollars below the national average, and they spend about twice as many hours working as they are paid for (because of after school programs, proffesional development, grading, and more.)

Oklahoma has recently surpassed Mississipi as the lowest funded state for education. It's really bad here. Every day my teachers have to beg students for basic things like paper and notecards because they either have to purchase them out of pocket or go without. A massive portion of our school's supplies come from student and parent donations.

They constantly call homes to ask for donations, and at the end of each year, they send home surveys asking what programs and services parents would prefer they cut next year to save money, as the budget drops each year. Our teachers haven't gotten a raise in ten years. Two weeks ago, they eliminated gradual pay increases for teachers, so a 30 year teacher would be paid the same as someone fresh out of college.

Our state issues almost two thousand "emergency teaching certificates" a year because our educators are fleeing to Texas and other states for better pay. The 2017 Teacher of the Year left for Arkansas. These new teachers are wildly under-qualified. Several of our temporary teachers have been arrested for extorting money from students, coming to school drunk and on the influence of narcotics, and having schizophrenic breakdowns in class (including one guy who threw a computer across the room). February, one of our teachers was charged as a love offender for sending nude photographs of themselves to freshmen.

The situation here is desperate. It's far worse than the US in general and you can genuinely sense the collapse of our education every year. With all this said, I go to one of the ten best-funded schools in the state, which illustrates just how terrible things are getting for rural schools as well.

They should invest in arming and training select administration to prevent further tragedies in any and all schools.

Since about a dozen of our teachers get arrested annually, I don't think that's a very good idea...

Since about a dozen of our teachers get arrested annually, I don't think that's a very good idea...

p o o l  c u e s

They should invest in arming and training select administration to prevent further tragedies in any and all schools.
(arms a bunch of people who get very annoyed by little defenseless children everyday) yea lets do it

It's the route Florida has taken. They're putting millions into better counseling and mental aid programs, but many millions more into arming teachers, and getting more cops on campus.

I'm not sure I get the joke.
Mentioning reddit is a joke, I don't get why. upvote if you don't get it either

back on topic
alright as much as I hate to agree with Zealot on anything it's as bad or worse than he says. The really alarming thing is that you can work at a 7/11 in Oklahoma full time and make more than a teacher. Thankfully the two major public colleges(OU and osu) are held up by arguably the best athletic program in the country and a multi-billionare in T Boone Pickens respectively, and there has still been hikes in my tuition at OU. I'm from Texas, and in my experience the difference between the kids that either went to private school or went out of state and the kids that went to public school in Oklahoma is actually quite noticeable in what classes they start out in and how they perform in class in my experience.

It's the route Florida has taken. They're putting millions into better counseling and mental aid programs, but many millions more into arming teachers, and getting more cops on campus.
Florida is evolving.
(arms a bunch of people who get very annoyed by little defenseless children everyday) yea lets do it
Yeah, and then maybe they'd stop being entitled little stuffs then.
child enthusiasts should be instant death sentence.

I could use an alabama automotive manufacturing strike