Author Topic: Laptop can't boot into it's OS  (Read 1200 times)

So lately, my laptop's been nothing but problem after problem, saying the power of the AC adapter couldn't be determined, even with a new one that was equal to or greater than the wattage of the battery, randomly locking up and shutting down, the hard drive and the GPU becoming very hot (up to 90 degrees celsius), and the screen glitching and flickering while it's plugged in, and now it can't boot up it's OS saying that there are no bootable devices

So is there something, maybe in the boot or setup menus, that i can do to fix this? Or can i use a disk or external hard drive with Ubuntu or some other OS on it so that i can at least backup my files and send the laptop out for repairs/replacement?

I don't have my files backed up anywhere else, so if i can't recover my files, then i'll have lost everything i ever had and worked on going as far back as the late 2000s, so it's VERY IMPORTANT that i am able to recover my files at the very least

If it's worth mentioning, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15-5555 (of the 5000 series)

Boot from a CD or USB stick and try to see if your main drive is still there.

If the drive is accessible from the other OS, then your bootloader might be forgeted and IDK how fixing that works for Windows.
Get your files backed up from the booted OS, and then look for help fixing your bootloader.

If it's not accessible, the connector may have disconnected.
If that is the case, open the laptop, unplug the hard drive, and then plug it back in.

If re-plugging doesn't work, try plugging the drive into a different PC to make sure it isn't totally forgeted.

If no PC is capable of accessing the files in the drive, you might be in deep stuff. There's advanced solutions for getting your stuff at that point, but I've never had to go that far and IIRC it's pretty expensive.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:18:45 PM by /dev/sr0 »

https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

try burning a copy of this and doing a recommended repair
(check to see if the drive is actually there before you do that)

Ah, yeah, try this if the drive is still detected but not bootable.

it seems the hdd should be rather easily removed, if you can you should try checking it in a seperate computer by using a disk utility like crystaldiskinfo or something similar

i doubt that's broken, sounds more like the computer itself is dying

Did you tried taking out the harddrive and plugging it into another computer to access your files

I don't think i have any CDs with which to burn to unfortunately :/

it seems the hdd should be rather easily removed, if you can you should try checking it in a seperate computer by using a disk utility like crystaldiskinfo or something similar

i doubt that's broken, sounds more like the computer itself is dying
Did you tried taking out the harddrive and plugging it into another computer to access your files

Boot from a CD or USB stick and try to see if your main drive is still there.

If the drive is accessible from the other OS, then your bootloader might be forgeted and IDK how fixing that works for Windows.
Get your files backed up from the booted OS, and then look for help fixing your bootloader.

If it's not accessible, the connector may have disconnected.
If that is the case, open the laptop, unplug the hard drive, and then plug it back in.

If re-plugging doesn't work, try plugging the drive into a different PC to make sure it isn't totally forgeted.

If no PC is capable of accessing the files in the drive, you might be in deep stuff. There's advanced solutions for getting your stuff at that point, but I've never had to go that far and IIRC it's pretty expensive.
Will try, thanks

open it up and put in a new hard drive, put in an install cd and move all the data nvm this only works for desktops try installing from a cd and  keeping the files, if you cant keep them then plug the hdd into a spare sata in a desktop and transfer, then install the cd

Just an update; I tried using the Windows Boot Manager and it somehow booted into the OS and finished installing the update that originally caused my laptop to spontaneously shut down and restart

So it's currently working, but i don't have access to a flash drive right now, so i'll just have to make sure that my laptop never shuts off again until i can get it and backup my files