Whoever made carrier wifi hotspots deserves to be lynched

Author Topic: Whoever made carrier wifi hotspots deserves to be lynched  (Read 2008 times)

Maybe I explained it wrong but it's those Wi-Fi hotspots that your Isps set up around big cities. Your phone will automatically connect to them but they don't have working internet so it kills any activity on your phone internet wise. They also will not let you 'forget' the network as well. Sure I can turn off the Wi-Fi on my phone every single time I use the bus on long distances but it's such a stupid loving thing and an unneeded hassle

I think I know what you're talking about. I think here we call it "municipal wifi" or something.

Maybe I explained it wrong
i was about to say

i know mobile hotspots to be the function where a person can basically make their phone give off Wi-Fi. if internet ever dies at the office one of my co-workers can turn on the hotspot function and we can have internet again by connecting to her phone. stuff has saved us so many times lol

Yeah mobile hotspots are great. It's this cancerous carrier wifi hotspots that are terrible

>wireless WiFi
>wireless wireless fidelity

Would putting the network under restricted network help?

you can turn it off
I also think that you can turn off wifi to prevent it from connecting, and you should turn off wifi if your leaving the house/apartment/whatever anyways

Maybe I explained it wrong but it's those Wi-Fi hotspots that your Isps set up around big cities. Your phone will automatically connect to them but they don't have working internet so it kills any activity on your phone internet wise. They also will not let you 'forget' the network as well. Sure I can turn off the Wi-Fi on my phone every single time I use the bus on long distances but it's such a stupid loving thing and an unneeded hassle
There should be a setting to specify whether or not you want to automatically connect to open networks
On my Nexus 6 it's "Use open Wi-Fi automatically" under "Configure Wi-Fi"

You can't filter it down to specific networks, but from a security standpoint, automatically connecting to unknown networks isn't something you really want at all.