BlockoWorld 2018 - BUILDING IS OPEN

Author Topic: BlockoWorld 2018 - BUILDING IS OPEN  (Read 10286 times)

It's cool to see people working on events. I actually don't like events because it absorbs the entire master server and kills off all other servers. Last I checked these are mostly just social events with overflowing chat and 300 different EDM loops

haHA! i knew someone would mention this. so, yes, i have a trick up my sleve now you mention the "interactive" part.

a mental exercise i did was, well, playing the game again. i haven't had much time before since i quit my job, but at the same time i've also have been addicted to this game again. plus recently i've seen some really cool things happening with the actual community recently like BL-Browser, Static Maps, the new brick pack from LeetZero (they're loving great omg you have no idea), playable instruments?!?!

i've tried this before but just making it a NYE event in the summer. i can't hold back on it only because i know this will work. the idea of not downloading any mp3's is amazing, and with the help of BL-Browser i can actually do this with a VPS hosted icecast stream. i did a test on a small amount of people (while hosting this with my laptop) last year and it worked stupidly well, just my upload speed is stuff and i'd have to hold it on a VPS to take in that kind of traffic.

the other common problem with this was, "what if i can't run BL-Browser or choose not to?" we'll provide the icecast URL in a website so you can still listen to the stream, it's just more fun to do it with BL-Browser ;).

the idea of a TDM or other event sounds interesting, i'm sure i'll figure out a plan to incorporate that. in 2011, scattered space did bot fighting in their booth and it was really loving successful. some people iirc came back to play while the event was going on still.

it's still march, we have time to plan this out more.

UPDATE 3/20/18:

i've ran the google form long enough, i'm locking it. here's the results for ya:

i know 48 responses is "weak" but stuff, better than i thought would happen. the handicap section of the vote is our gag, i forgeted up and i figured the idea to do something hybrid would be sick.

with that said, i'll try to keep the community side of things more open. i will try to accommodate whatever people want once i figure out who wants to contribute (which i'll sort out soon within a week). i won't be limiting people by 1 baseplate this time around. i'm gonna make this more of a block party, the center will be a big ass festival stage like something outta lollapalooza.

the whole building process will be still passworded, and custom mods will be allowed for promotion purposes, but it will just be like a block party.

EDIT: holy stuff i forgot to mention the chat part. local chat. make it less easier on your screen. "but i wanna chat to everyone!!!" simple solution: discord.
i'll set up a server soon when it's time to get booths and stuff set up. this is all just starting, it's gonna be a beast to do. i'm really hoping for this to be one of the best i've done, even changing the whole game up. i can't wait to see what will become, be on the lookout soon for the discord!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:09:48 AM by TomTheGeek² »

fyi, the framework bl-browser uses (awesomium) kinda sucks and doesn't support a lot of web standards. I tried to do music streaming for New Years via bl-browser but it ultimately just didn't work out because there was just problem after problem after problem with it not properly supporting web standards. Don't count on it working, at least not until Pah implements a more standards-conforming framework.

fyi, the framework bl-browser uses (awesomium) kinda sucks and doesn't support a lot of web standards. I tried to do music streaming for New Years via bl-browser but it ultimately just didn't work out because there was just problem after problem after problem with it not properly supporting web standards. Don't count on it working, at least not until Pah implements a more standards-conforming framework.

did you try with twitch? i'm gonna literally stream a mp3 with a custom web page that i can make easily. it would not be using video, it would be a icecast surprising it works, imma do another test with the server im hosting rn.

if pah won’t start some work on the CEF version, I’ll try to find some time in between procrastinating on blocklandjs and life..

here's a video of what i'll be doing with bl browser: https://youtu.be/tBYIdyCpkB8

i did it in ogg tbh, but there it is working.

if pah won’t start some work on the CEF version, I’ll try to find some time in between procrastinating on blocklandjs and life..
That would be incredible if you could get it to work. Pah said they had tried to make it work but just couldn't make sense of it.

That would be incredible if you could get it to work. Pah said they had tried to make it work but just couldn't make sense of it.

i could throw in some graphics if this is the case. for now, i'll keep what i have up my sleeves a secret ;).

cef works
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:52:07 AM by Metario »

my upload speed is stuff and i'd have to hold it on a VPS to take in that kind of traffic.
How much upload do you need?

is it possible if i could show off one of my vehicles here?

is it possible if i could show off one of my vehicles here?

soon i'll let users add.

How much upload do you need?

depends. i'll probably rent out my own server, we'll see.

depends. i'll probably rent out my own server, we'll see.

If our ISP would hurry up with getting fiber installed, I'd offer to host the server myself. But it looks like they won't be done until the end of summer and I doubt that my (albeit nicer than some places) 3Mbps up is enough. Even if you do only see 50-100 users max, if the survey was anything to go by.

If our ISP would hurry up with getting fiber installed, I'd offer to host the server myself. But it looks like they won't be done until the end of summer and I doubt that my (albeit nicer than some places) 3Mbps up is enough. Even if you do only see 50-100 users max, if the survey was anything to go by.

with the audio streaming aspect, i really don't wanna torture everyone with my stuffty upload plus the overhang of 100 connections to my stuffty at&t internet. i'll rent when it's time to finally officially host, for now my laptop is enough for testing/building.

This block party better be supportive of low end machines or a #boycottblockoworld map will be made and tom will be assassinated

This block party better be supportive of low end machines or a #boycottblockoworld map will be made and tom will be assassinated

that's why i'm doing this in a open world. blockoworld 2011 almost was cancelled because the convention center was wayyyy to big and bricky so it lagged machines at the time, plus it was in a realllly tight space.