What steps do you take to hide your online identity?

Author Topic: What steps do you take to hide your online identity?  (Read 3183 times)

I don’t really hide it. What I have done though/do is
- enforce an always on VPN for my phone, laptop, and desktop
- delete instagram, Facebook, twitter
- unlist my name from spokeo, as well as the majority of my family’s name so they can’t be associated
- enable DNT, ublock origin and ensure that my geoip doesn’t resolve anywhere near my actual city
- do continual google searches to make sure that any instance of my real name to usernames I don’t want to be associated to doesn’t exist
- have full disk encryption for my laptop and use arch with a strict iptables rule to ensure that no connections can reach any services
- continually audit the services running on my laptop and disable them from running
- modify the hostname and MAC address of my laptop, as well as disable any communications until the VPN negotiation is finished, so i can ensure that my laptop can’t have a “fingerprint” associated with it
- disable the microphone, camera for all devices and use USB ones only so I know when they’re active and I should be cautious
- have a seperate NAT subnet for all of my devices
- use 50+ character passwords everywhere, phone is an exception with a 32 character pw
- All the things are twofactor
- encrypted messaging apps all around

other then that, not much. you could easily find my real name and picture from the forums.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 03:45:26 PM by Metario »

In terms of hiding your data from corporations, I don't really bother although I know I should

In terms of preventing people finding your identity online (like here), the main thing you can do to avoid it is not go out of your way to be a cunt to people. Almost everyone who has been subject to private investigating drama here in the past were people who go out of there way to troll or be richards

I'm so good, people don't know that I am HowToBasic.

- unlist my name from spokeo, as well as the majority of my family’s name so they can’t be associated
- enable DNT, ublock origin and ensure that my geoip doesn’t resolve anywhere near my actual city
- do continual google searches to make sure that any instance of my real name to usernames I don’t want to be associated to doesn’t exist
- have full disk encryption for my laptop and use arch with a strict iptables rule to ensure that no connections can reach any services
- continually audit the services running on my laptop and disable them from running
- modify the hostname and MAC address of my laptop, as well as disable any communications until the VPN negotiation is finished, so i can ensure that my laptop can’t have a “fingerprint” associated with it
- disable the microphone, camera for all devices and use USB ones only so I know when they’re active and I should be cautious
- use 50+ character passwords everywhere, phone is an exception with a 32 character pw

other then that, not much. you could easily find my real name and picture from the forums.
did you murder someone or something

all the skiddies obsess over privacy 24/7 no offense metario

I knew someone in high school who ran like a VPN YouTube channel where they just talked exclusively about vpns and in school he was always installing like a million viruses onto the school computers

no, i'm just paranoid for reasons that don't make sense and having all of my stuff like this calms me down
all the skiddies obsess over privacy 24/7 no offense metario

I knew someone in high school who ran like a VPN YouTube channel where they just talked exclusively about vpns and in school he was always installing like a million viruses onto the school computers
i don't really obsess over privacy, i just have that side of me that needs to have setups like this or else i feel like somebody's watching me and i get insanely paranoid

also call that kid a handicap, destroying school property or obsessing over vpns is a waste of time/a stuffty thing to do lol

jesus christ

Op already forgeted up considering he posted his face and he'll have to hope to god the forums gets deleted one day

i try my best to never reveal my first name

...it isn't going very well

I got you cornered, Gr8

Op already forgeted up considering he posted his face and he'll have to hope to god the forums gets deleted one day
I can just delet the picture and imgur

and hope nobody reuploads it

Almost everyone who has been subject to private investigating drama here in the past were people who go out of there way to troll or be richards
Everyone that's been investigateed here has been investigateed by a completely morally deficient person. That's the common denominator in all of these cases and I don't really understand why people try to twist this to fit their narrative based on who they do and don't like. Saying "oh so and so is a prick/troll and they had private investigating coming" encourages others to investigate and then the cycle repeats itself.

In terms of preventing people finding your identity online (like here), the main thing you can do to avoid it is not go out of your way to be a cunt to people. Almost everyone who has been subject to private investigating drama here in the past were people who go out of there way to troll or be richards
this is your brain on caravan gaming

i put myself behind 7 proxies