Author Topic: Got a new computer, misplaced blockland key  (Read 1883 times)

I've got a new-ish computer but haven't really cared enough to get my key until now.  Is there any way I can get it back?

it'll work if you hit "refresh" a couple of times

oops disregard that then

If you still have access to your old computer, you can use ipquarx's reverse key.dat to get the key from the key.dat in your bl install on the old computer. Note it must be run on that computer cause part of the encryption uses the MAC address of the computer

If you still have access to your old computer, you can use ipquarx's reverse key.dat to get the key from the key.dat in your bl install on the old computer. Note it must be run on that computer cause part of the encryption uses the MAC address of the computer
So technically, he could spoof the mac address of his new PC to match his old PC and use the reverse key.dat tool on his new PC to get the key? (not that most people usually write down their mac address for safe keeping) but, theoretically, it should work....? (never actually used it so idk)

So technically, he could spoof the mac address of his new PC to match his old PC and use the reverse key.dat tool on his new PC to get the key? (not that most people usually write down their mac address for safe keeping) but, theoretically, it should work....? (never actually used it so idk)
im not sure if its the only thing. ipquarx can chime in more on this - it could very likely be more than just MAC address. but yeah, technically if you do have it and its all thats needed, then you can just get the mac address and use it to decrypt the key

you could just move your HDD over

you could just move your HDD over
wont work, key.dat is encrypted based on MAC address and possibly other hardware components. youd have to also move the ethernet adapter over iirc, or change your new computers mac address to the same one as the old computer

you could go to your routers registered devices which keeps a record of your PC's that have been connected to your router and most of the time it will show you their MAC address

This is why I write down a lot of things and keep them in a location where I'll know for sure where it's located. You can PM Badspot and see if you can get your key (worth a try)