Author Topic: The term "Original Character" is loving stupid  (Read 1939 times)

It's inseparably tied to deviantart, tumblr, and all the sonic/anime/game fan characters that infest those places. When Stan Lee created Spiderman, he didn't tell everybody to check out his "OC". They're CHARACTERS. There's no reason to emphasize the originality of a character unless you're insecure about how you stole the design from somewhere else. I can't design a character anymore without feeling like some tumblr reject drawing a sonic fan character. It's ruining my good times.

Also there's this egotistical slant on the whole concept where your OC is supposed to represent yourself. Your OC is much cooler looking, more talented, and more attractive than you. It's weird and depressing seeing all these kids pretending to be fictional characters rather than just being themselves. I feel like this is a precursor to the matrix where everyone is an avatar instead of a human being.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:45:57 PM by Squideey »

I don't really see the big deal

my new line of original novels will have really good ocs

Pretty sure the term is exclusively used for fan-fiction so you can distinguish which characters were in the original canon and which ones you made up

Like you can't consider Mitchell Shepherd to be an actual character from the Half-Life canon, because it's an insult to the work. You'd refer to him as an OC

The topic is mislabeled. My beef is with the act of pretending to be a fictional character. "OC"s are the byproduct of it.

I think you're just mad because my oasis avatar is cooler than yours

Check out my epic orginal OC
completely inspired by nothing
Dont Steal It

his name is Yeediuqs

Coldsteel and Sonichu are really good OC's

I can't design a character anymore without feeling like some tumblr reject drawing a sonic fan character. It's ruining my good times.
more likely you're artistically drained rn and trying to project those insecurities onto something outside of your control

this is not a good post tbh

don't rly see a problem with either, it might be fun for some people to act like someone else like their own character every now and then. it can be an escapism as well
as for the term, i guess "my OC" is just a way to shorten it now instead of saying "my character"
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:23:12 PM by gr8dayseth »

this is not a good post tbh
actually it's an Original Post

actually it's an Original Post
other wise known as.... OP

OC CHARACTER: ENTER BOBBY BULLETS
HE IS A CHARMER AND A FARMER. HE LIKES GIRLS BUT DON'T TELL ANYBODY. HE HATES GOING TO BED AT 8:00 PM.

OUTFIT: FEDORA (BOWLER IF FEELING SPICY.); SLEEVELESS GLOVES; BAGGY PANTS; TRENCH COAT

IF YOU CROSS THIS DUDES PATH HE'LL forget YOUR MOM.