City RPG Slim | Version 0.1 | Community Input Please!!!!

Author Topic: City RPG Slim | Version 0.1 | Community Input Please!!!!  (Read 3295 times)

coding a cityrpg is a big undertaking - you have to understand a lot of how the game works to be able to package all the necessary functions and handle things like combat, spawning, player data, police, building only in lots, etc.
we tell them this every time but they just don't realize how big it is lol

i suggest you dont, coding a city rpg from the ground up is an awful idea and you'll likely quit in about a day
even making a good edit can easily take weeks of full time effort - if you're already a good coder.

suburbia, which was probably the most coherent and functional city rpg ever to be made, took about 5-6 months of constant work from a development team of 3-4 people and even then it was still entirely unsustainable and wasn't really that fun.

the only good 'city rpg' route one could take would be a grand theft auto type game with multiple unique characters and plenty of unique and wacky quests to keep players interested. without that you just have some grind-oriented cookie clicker numbers game that is entirely hollow and seems like it was created on impulse

i already see you're designing a job system which is the first huge red flag that you're already falling into a terrible city rpg development habit. jobs are just superficial titles that let you accumulate currency in different ways. they're all boring and there's literally no reason to have more than 3-4 jobs in your city rpg. designing a modular job system already shows you plan on implementing more than 5 jobs into your rpg and that means bloating the gamemode with stupid unnecessary superficial content just to attract more players
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 02:03:18 PM by thegoodperry »

grind-oriented cookie clicker numbers game
Those are fun though

Those are fun though
they're not fun when you have the option to play something like halo or fortnite. who would willingly choose cookie clicker over a fun, engaging competitive game with meaningful mechanics?

You should talk to sentry, he has a lot of experience with this

they're not fun when you have the option to play something like halo or fortnite. who would willingly choose cookie clicker over a fun, engaging competitive game with meaningful mechanics?
TDMs get equally as boring as CityRPs imo, shooting at someone else isn't a "meaningful mechanic" but I can sorta see what you are getting at. This is a bad comparison.

TDMs get equally as boring as CityRPs imo, shooting at someone else isn't a "meaningful mechanic" but I can sorta see what you are getting at. This is a bad comparison.
the only meaningful thing you can do in cityrpg is earn money slightly faster. in a tdm you have other guns and you can explore their advantages and disadvantages coupled with the map's design and other stuff. theres strategies you can take to win

Okay, consideeing the concern for this, this may be a large undertaking that ill have to come back to...
But i dont want to give up, i think ill be making smaller mods first, and then build up to it.

I will however be editing it and updating it intermittently, and i plan on this being scripted in chunks.

But if anyone wants to do this as an open source style group project, im sure that could end up working alright.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:39:00 PM by Master Matthew² »